Re: Novel on the later Justinian

  • Jacqueline Wilson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 1999
      Irene, I think whatever the group wants is fine
      with me. I am going to be putting some of this
      on old for awhile as I just ran into a
      HUUUUUGGGGE homework assignment for a class I am
      taking. So I will be lurking more than
      participating until I get caught up. The subject
      is military philosophy, so Rome will be on the
      back burner for awile. So maybe by the time I
      get caught up, you will be at the beginning
      again! Hopefully perfect timing.

      Anyway, I may not be able to read all the books
      at this time, but will try to keep up with other
      things. I have to get the current book on
      interlibrary loan and do not know when it will be
      here. I did get the Michael Grant book, so will
      not be a total ignoramus when it comes to Constantine.

      =====
      Happy reading

      Jacqueline Wilson
      (Beckwith49)
    • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 1999
        In a message dated 9/24/99 1:37:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        jaw5030@... writes:

        > So I will be lurking more than
        > participating until I get caught up.

        Jaqueline, I understand. Though we missed you at the last two chats... ;-)

        Irene
      • C. Gottselig
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 25, 1999
          On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:43:02 EDT, you wrote:

          >From: IrenesBooks@...
          >
          >For all of you who have opted for "Early Rome" rather than "Byzantium", would
          >you be willing to go as far as Justinian II (685-695 & 705-711 CE)? Which
          >would then be the definite end as far a Byzantium goes for us.

          I voted for Early Rome but would be willing to try this one though it
          received decidedly mixed reviews on Amazon.

          Carol
        • ILIADHOMER@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 25, 1999
            The 7th and 8th centuries AD are NOT early Rome. In my mind, early Rome
            could not extend beyond the end of the Republic (27 B.C.) or so. .
            .COMMENTS???

            JOHN L. GOMER
          • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 25, 1999
              In a message dated 9/25/99 9:07:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              ILIADHOMER@... writes:

              > The 7th and 8th centuries AD are NOT early Rome. In my mind, early Rome
              > could not extend beyond the end of the Republic (27 B.C.) or so. .
              > .COMMENTS???
              >
              > JOHN L. GOMER

              My question to the group was this: Should we finish the Empire with
              "Justinian" - which sounds an interesting book, and then go back to early
              Rome (and as early as we find something to read about)?

              I take it that your vote is "no" and I will put you down as such.

              Irene (already doing research for Early Rome literature) :-)
            • MarkowitzH@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 26, 1999