Re: [Roman_History_Books] Reminder: Book Chat Thursday at 9:00 EDT

  • Jimmyjb
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2001
      Irene,

      I see that the reading group is not quite up to the time of the Great Revolt. I
      don't recall the reading for that session, but I believe you have selected some
      of the Lindsay detective yarns of the Flavian era. While I think she gets many
      details right and has a flavor for the customs etc. of the period, I find some
      of the hard-boiled modern detective sthick a little jarring. I am going to be
      away for a long weekend starting tonight, but wonder if you could use anything
      on the events in Judaea for your Flavian session whenever that might be. Of
      course Feuchtwanger is too daunting, and not available in English now anyhow. I
      have been recently reading Tacitus and Suetonius regarding the events in
      Judaea...very scattered, due to the loss of the manuscript sections, but
      interesting. Tacitus intersperses the Judaean revolt with that in Britain and
      notes that Britain too was once ruled by a line of native kings.

      In any event, since Vespasian was made emperor by his Eastern army in
      Syria-Judaea-Egypt, it might be of interest to the readers.

      Best,
      Jim Bloom