Reminder: Book Chat Thursday at 9:00 EDT

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 2001
      I looks like my automated reminder has not come through.

      Chat is tomorrow, Thursday at 9:00 EDT to discuss "Claudius the God and his
      Wife Messalina" by Robert Graves. Through the end.

      For details go to

      Our chatroom is at http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpchat.htm.

      I'm still exploring other chat room possibilities. Did you check Delphi as I
      suggested?

      Forum Book Discussions
      http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
    • Judy Geary
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2001
        I'll try whatever you suggest. In trying to sign on to chat rooms and bulletin
        boards hosted by About.com, I've always had to establish a new account (because
        the old password never works.)

        Judy

        IrenesBooks@... wrote:

        > I looks like my automated reminder has not come through.
        >
        > Chat is tomorrow, Thursday at 9:00 EDT to discuss "Claudius the God and his
        > Wife Messalina" by Robert Graves. Through the end.
        >
        > For details go to
        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm
        >
        > Our chatroom is at http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpchat.htm.
        >
        > I'm still exploring other chat room possibilities. Did you check Delphi as I
        > suggested?
        >
        > Irene
        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/
        > Co-host, Ancient/Classical History Forum
        > http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/start
        > Forum Book Discussions
        > http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start

      • Jimmyjb
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 18, 2001
          Irene,

          I see that the reading group is not quite up to the time of the Great Revolt. I
          don't recall the reading for that session, but I believe you have selected some
          of the Lindsay detective yarns of the Flavian era. While I think she gets many
          details right and has a flavor for the customs etc. of the period, I find some
          of the hard-boiled modern detective sthick a little jarring. I am going to be
          away for a long weekend starting tonight, but wonder if you could use anything
          on the events in Judaea for your Flavian session whenever that might be. Of
          course Feuchtwanger is too daunting, and not available in English now anyhow. I
          have been recently reading Tacitus and Suetonius regarding the events in
          Judaea...very scattered, due to the loss of the manuscript sections, but
          interesting. Tacitus intersperses the Judaean revolt with that in Britain and
          notes that Britain too was once ruled by a line of native kings.

          In any event, since Vespasian was made emperor by his Eastern army in
          Syria-Judaea-Egypt, it might be of interest to the readers.

          Best,
          Jim Bloom