Novel on the later Justinian

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 1999
      For all of you who have opted for "Early Rome" rather than "Byzantium", would
      you be willing to go as far as Justinian II (685-695 & 705-711 CE)? Which
      would then be the definite end as far a Byzantium goes for us.

      There is a (rather thick - 640 pages long) novel which just has come out as
      an inexpensive paperback:

      H.N. Turteltaub
      Justinian
      ISBN 0812545273

      Here is the review of the hardcover edition:
      http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/justinian.html

      Sounds interesting to me. If you go to Amazon.com, you'll find more reviews.

      Let me know your thoughts please.

      Irene
    • Jacqueline Wilson
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 23, 1999
        Irene, I think whatever the group wants is fine
        with me. I am going to be putting some of this
        on old for awhile as I just ran into a
        HUUUUUGGGGE homework assignment for a class I am
        taking. So I will be lurking more than
        participating until I get caught up. The subject
        is military philosophy, so Rome will be on the
        back burner for awile. So maybe by the time I
        get caught up, you will be at the beginning
        again! Hopefully perfect timing.

        Anyway, I may not be able to read all the books
        at this time, but will try to keep up with other
        things. I have to get the current book on
        interlibrary loan and do not know when it will be
        here. I did get the Michael Grant book, so will
        not be a total ignoramus when it comes to Constantine.

        =====
        Happy reading

        Jacqueline Wilson
        (Beckwith49)
      • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 24, 1999
          In a message dated 9/24/99 1:37:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          jaw5030@... writes:

          > So I will be lurking more than
          > participating until I get caught up.

          Jaqueline, I understand. Though we missed you at the last two chats... ;-)

          Irene
        • C. Gottselig
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 25, 1999
            On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:43:02 EDT, you wrote:

            >From: IrenesBooks@...
            >
            >For all of you who have opted for "Early Rome" rather than "Byzantium", would
            >you be willing to go as far as Justinian II (685-695 & 705-711 CE)? Which
            >would then be the definite end as far a Byzantium goes for us.

            I voted for Early Rome but would be willing to try this one though it
            received decidedly mixed reviews on Amazon.

            Carol
          • ILIADHOMER@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 25, 1999
              The 7th and 8th centuries AD are NOT early Rome. In my mind, early Rome
              could not extend beyond the end of the Republic (27 B.C.) or so. .
              .COMMENTS???

              JOHN L. GOMER
            • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 25, 1999
                In a message dated 9/25/99 9:07:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                ILIADHOMER@... writes:

                > The 7th and 8th centuries AD are NOT early Rome. In my mind, early Rome
                > could not extend beyond the end of the Republic (27 B.C.) or so. .
                > .COMMENTS???
                >
                > JOHN L. GOMER

                My question to the group was this: Should we finish the Empire with
                "Justinian" - which sounds an interesting book, and then go back to early
                Rome (and as early as we find something to read about)?

                I take it that your vote is "no" and I will put you down as such.

                Irene (already doing research for Early Rome literature) :-)
              • MarkowitzH@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 26, 1999