Re: Welcome to Roman_History_Books@onelist.com

  • Colin Fraser
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 1999
      Hi,

      I have just joined the list and wondered if you have ever covered the
      fictional works of Steven Saylor or Lindsey Davis? I did a minor in
      Classical History many years ago and find that whole time facinating
      although the current book on your list does not appeal to me. Must I read
      everything or may I lurk and just take part in the aspects that appeal to
      me? Some of your previous reading would have been wonderful, a lot I have
      read over the years and would enjoy discussing and even re-reading. I
      really enjoy the feel of the period that I get from the Falco and Gordianus
      books and would love to discuss them sometime. Thanks.

      Colin

      ----------
      > From: Roman_History_Books-owner@onelist.com
      > To: cfraser@...
      > Subject: [Roman_History_Books] Welcome to Roman_History_Books@onelist.com
      > Date: Monday, May 31, 1999 12:51 PM
      >
      > Hello,
      >
      > welcome to the Roman History Books and Reading Group. Please take a
      moment to review this message.

      > We are book lovers with a special interest in Roman History, and we are
      moving chronologically through history. We originally started out with
      Colleen McCullough�s "Masters of Rome" series and will eventually go back
      to the beginnings of Rome.

      > As message board and chat room of the Roman History Reading Group are
      available to AOL members only, we have opened this forum to accommodate a
      wider audience. Please check our website often for updates:
      > http://members.aol.com/bkcnirene/page/index.htm
      > or go directly to:
      > http://members.aol.com/bkcnirene/page4/booklist2.htm
      > to see what we are reading now.
      >
      > Please e-mail BkCnIrene@... if you want to be put on the Reading
      Group mailing list or have other questions or comments.

    • BkCnIrene@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 1999
        cfraser@... writes:

        << Hi,

        I have just joined the list and wondered if you have ever covered the
        fictional works of Steven Saylor or Lindsey Davis? >>

        Yes, we read one book of each mystery series. Please refer to our Reading
        List
        http://members.aol.com/bkcnirene/page3/booklist1.htm (or without graphics:
        http://members.aol.com/bkcnirene/page3/booklist1a.htm). I personally have
        read them all. Excellently researched fiction!

        Another good read by Davis is "The Course of Honor", a straight forward
        historical novel about Caenis, Vespasian's mistress. Some idiot publisher
        listed it under "Romance", which has a lot of people stay away from the book.

        <<Must I read everything or may I lurk and just take part in the aspects that
        appeal to me?>>

        Of course not, just pick and choose. I hope the past reading list alone will
        keep you busy...You might be interested though in the tentatively planned
        book for July: "Island of Ghosts" by Gillian Bradshaw.

        http://members.aol.com/bkcnirene/page/index.htm
      • Ross A. Martinek
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 1999
          I know who "Falco" is. Who is "Gordianus"?

          --
          Ross A. Martinek
          triarius@...

          One of the pack, maybe.
          One of the herd�NEVER!
        • Colin Fraser
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 1999
            Gordianus is the main characture of Steven Saylor's series set in Rome
            around 80BC.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 1999
              Gordianus the Finder starts out as leg man for Cicero's trials. Very well
              researched and well written. You should read them in sequence. The latest
              book, not yet read by me, is called Rubicon, so it certainly involves Julius
              Caesar.

              Most of the books are available in paperback. Check my page
              http://hometown.aol.com/bkcnirene/page4/booklist2.htm