tribute money in 1st century Roman Empire

  • tiny@cogitate.freeserve.co.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20 9:45 AM
      I understand the "head" tax of te 1st century was a denarius or the
      average daily wage of a labourer.

      I would like to know the amount of frequency of this tax plus does
      anyone know what proportion of income the Romans would have exacted
      from their conquered territories?

      Thanks,

      Ichthys.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20 1:42 PM
        I have posted your query on the Ancient/Classical History Forum,
        http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/

        Please check there for possible responses.

        Iren
      • tiny@cogitate.freeserve.co.uk
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20 3:18 PM
          --- In Roman_History_Books@y..., IrenesBooks@a... wrote:
          > I have posted your query on the Ancient/Classical History Forum,
          > http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/
          >
          > Please check there for possible responses.
          >
          > Iren

          Thank you,

          Ichthys.
        • Randall Howarth
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 27 10:59 AM
            Ichthys, I'm not sure of the answer to part one, but to part two, taxation
            models in Roman controlled areas were in the neighborhood of a tenth (tithe)
            and were paid in kind as often as in coin. Best modern work on this topic in
            English are the books written by Duncan-Jones. R. Howarth