Re: [Roman_History_Books] Sejanus (Flames book)

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2001
      In a message dated 8/6/01 6:34:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ptobey@...
      writes:

      > A God Strolling in the Cool of the Evening

      We read that book about two years ago, and I think everyone liked it.

      A God Strolling in the Cool of the Evening : A Novel (Pegasus Prize for
      Literature)
      by Mario De Carvalho
      Hardcover - 272 pages (October 1997)
      Louisiana State Univ Pr; ISBN: 0807122351
      or
      Paperback - 304 pages (February 27, 2001)
      Grove Press; ISBN: 0802137741

      Editorial Reviews
      The New York Times Book Review, Erik Burns
      In Rome, Marcus Aurelius is Emperor, and in faraway Lusitania, in a city
      called Tarcisis, on the western edge of the Iberian peninsula in what will
      one day be Portugal, Lucius Valerius Quintius is his humble servant--the
      duumvir, or magistrate. Dedicated and loyal, Lucius lives in a contentious
      time, caught between the dominance of what he calls 'Romanity'--built on its
      Latin heritage as well as the Empire's global reach--and the fast-growing
      influence of the cult of Christianity.... Elegant and erudite, Carvalho's
      novel is an absorbing study of a single man's moral code, as well as a
      provocative meditation on the difficulty of leading a virtuous life in as era
      of tumultuous change.

      Forum Book Discussions
      http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start