Re: [Roman_History_Books] Sejanus (Flames book)

  • ptobey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2001
      Well, I was thinking of Sabinus instead of Sejanus. Sigh. But Sejanus is in
      the book, but the main character is the brother of Vespasian. -Maier does
      seem to do the early Christianity--the Flames book had lots of notes about
      the research and what he based his "take" on the aspects of the story. Of
      course, I also read one that presented the Christians in a more balanced
      light (to me anyway) with a mix of characters, from an annoying fanatic whom
      I just wanted to see thrown in a cell or fed to a lion, to to those who tried
      to blend it in with their life. A God Strolling in the Cool of the Evening. I
      don't know if it will wind up on our reading list--I had to order it--but I
      would love to hear other opinions of the book and its ending and all.
      Pam
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2001
        In a message dated 8/6/01 6:34:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ptobey@...
        writes:

        > A God Strolling in the Cool of the Evening

        We read that book about two years ago, and I think everyone liked it.

        A God Strolling in the Cool of the Evening : A Novel (Pegasus Prize for
        Literature)
        by Mario De Carvalho
        Hardcover - 272 pages (October 1997)
        Louisiana State Univ Pr; ISBN: 0807122351
        or
        Paperback - 304 pages (February 27, 2001)
        Grove Press; ISBN: 0802137741

        Editorial Reviews
        The New York Times Book Review, Erik Burns
        In Rome, Marcus Aurelius is Emperor, and in faraway Lusitania, in a city
        called Tarcisis, on the western edge of the Iberian peninsula in what will
        one day be Portugal, Lucius Valerius Quintius is his humble servant--the
        duumvir, or magistrate. Dedicated and loyal, Lucius lives in a contentious
        time, caught between the dominance of what he calls 'Romanity'--built on its
        Latin heritage as well as the Empire's global reach--and the fast-growing
        influence of the cult of Christianity.... Elegant and erudite, Carvalho's
        novel is an absorbing study of a single man's moral code, as well as a
        provocative meditation on the difficulty of leading a virtuous life in as era
        of tumultuous change.

        Forum Book Discussions
        http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start