Gladiator (again)

  • BICURRATUS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2001
      Hope this is not too off topic. And yes, it has been mentioned in the past.

      Picking up on two points about Gladiator.

      "Only question is: will these newer films be as high of quality as
      "Gladiator"?  One can fervently hope so!"

      What do you mean by 'high quality'? It's entertaining and fun to watch, but
      so was Braveheart! They spent a lot of money on CGI for Rome but it wasn't
      the Rome I know. I don't believe the production values were that high. Watch
      Scott's 'The Duellists'. A far better film (with a story).

      "Regarding "Gladiator":
      1. The acting, costumes, battle scenes, special effects were all terrific.
      2. the sense of place and time in Rome was excellent and a credit to Ridley
      Scott the director.
      3. the contrived story involving the Emperor Commodus was tedious and not
      true to history."

      I would have preferred if Scott and co. had made up all the characters,
      including the emperors. I'm sure he wouldn't have been saddled with half the
      criticism he has been. He always said he wasn't making a 'documentary'. Fine.
      So why did he pretend any of it might have been true.

      The acting was laughable. The costumes were dubious. The armour worn by the
      legionairies was awful (didn't even have the loricas do up front and back and
      the helmets would have done credit to Cromwell's Ironsides!). The Roman
      battle was badly staged (just loved the napalm). The special effects were
      terrific.

      I, too, hope 'Gladiator' re-ignites interest in filming Rome - there was talk
      of a film about Boudicca. But please, let's have something far superior than
      the tripe we had served by Scott.

      David

    • ptobey@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2001
        Though I enjoyed "Gladiator," especially for the recreation of Rome and its
        architecture, I have to agree with many of your points.

        << "Regarding "Gladiator":

        1. The acting, costumes, battle scenes, special effects were all terrific.

        2. the sense of place and time in Rome was excellent and a credit to Ridley

        Scott the director.

        3. the contrived story involving the Emperor Commodus was tedious and not

        true to history.">>

        My beef with the scenery was that though the architecture was terrific and
        gave me a sense of what Rome would have looked like, they didn't get
        realistic enough with color. Considering the colors preserved in Pompeii's
        interiors, I would thing Rome would be a much more colorful place and not
        just tan and terra cotta! Steven Saylor summed it up well on his page with a
        review of "Gladiator" and its lack of color inside and out. The palace looked
        more like something from a bare, marbled European palace of only a few
        centuries ago.

        << The costumes were dubious. >>
        Very dubious, as far the women's go. No Emperor's daughter would be caught
        wearing such revealing garments. Not to mention that "corset" near the end on
        Livia! This Rome had never hear of the stola for sure. Wish I knew more about
        armour to be able to judge the Legionary's costumes.

        And I hope for more Roman films (with more realism!). There is word on
        Lindsey Davis' Web page that the rights to her books and Falco have been
        optioned by the BBC with A&E for a series. She held on for rights and says
        that it will be true to the books and will have high production values. I can
        only hope so and look forward to this project happening! In spite of
        anachronisms, I greatly enjoy her books.

        Pam
      • shirley skinner
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
          > And I hope for more Roman films (with more realism!). There is word on
          > Lindsey Davis' Web page that the rights to her books and Falco have been
          > optioned by the BBC with A&E for a series. She held on for rights and says
          > that it will be true to the books and will have high production values. I can
          > only hope so and look forward to this project happening! In spite of
          > anachronisms, I greatly enjoy her books.
          >
          > Pam

          Crawling out of lurkdom very briefly - there was a TV movie of one of the Falco books a few years ago - the Australian actor Bryan Brown played Falco. I can't remember the name of the actress who played Helena - Amanda something or other, she's married to the guy who played Arnie Becker in LA Law. From what I can remember of it, despite the small screen restrictions it was terrific fun and there was a real sense of Rome teeming with people all the time.

          But if the BBC and A&E have picked up the rights, the series should definitely be worth watching.

          Shirley
          London-based, so unlikely to be able to take part in any of your talks!

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
            In a message dated 7/31/01 6:50:28 AM, shirley@... writes:

            << there was a TV movie of one of the Falco books a few years ago - the
            Australian actor Bryan Brown played Falco. I can't remember the name of the
            actress who played Helena - Amanda something or other, she's married to the
            guy who played Arnie Becker in LA Law. >>

            Amanda Pete. And you should read Ms. Davis going on about it! She hated it.
            It was the Silver Pigs book. Apparently they changed a lot and she was not
            happy with the production values and sets, nor the script--she has a nice
            little rant about it on the web page. Says she forced them to remove her name
            from the project and held onto the rights for all the others til she got what
            she wanted from a production co. It sounds good with the BBC/A&E one so let's
            keep our fingers crossed for some good Roman fun.

            Pam :-)
            (In muggy DC, where the Senators probably wish they could still wear togas
            instead of suits in all this hot weather!)
          • Lady Marian
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
              Hello!

              When is the BBC/A&E version of "Silver Pigs" coming
              out? And who stars in it? Thanks! :)

              =====

              Blessings & Fair Winds,

              Denise

              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
            • ptobey@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
                The old one is based on Silver Pigs--the one L. Davis hated and off of which
                she took her name and any involvement. I have no idea when that one was. Late
                90s? I'm going to keep my eye out on the movie channels now that I know the
                names of the leads!

                The new stuff is in production and there was no projected dates as of yet.
                Her page is www.lindseydavis.com and the news of the BBC/A&E production is in
                there somewhere.

                Pam :-)
              • shirley skinner
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
                  Well, I have to admit I've not read any of the books so have no idea how accurate the TV movie was. I just know that it was great fun and is well worth watching!

                  Shirley