Re: [Roman_History_Books] Digest Number 340

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2001

      > Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 14:10:09 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Lady Marian <marianofsherwood95@...>
      >Subject: Any Good Books Out There on Pliny/Domition?
      >

      > Hi All:
      >Thanks for answering my questions about "Rome in the First Century" on PBS
      >(I'll be watching Part II this evening; I had it taped earlier in the
      >week). Do any of you folks on this list have good book suggestions on the
      >life of Pliny The Elder/Pliny the Younger/Domition/Vespasian!
      >Thanks!
      >

      >Blessings & Fair Winds,
      >
      >Denise

      I know this will sound "dumb" but... get copies of Pliny's works and read
      them. They are available in paperback, at Barnes & Noble or online shops
      like Amazon.com or at your library. Vespasian has a nice bit of fiction
      written about him by the writer of a Roman Mystery series, and Josephus
      writes of the time period. His works are also available. I have several
      copies in my personal library.

      Caius Fabius
    • David Wend
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2001
        In regard to Domitian, there is the biography by Pat Southern, "Domitian:
        Tragic Tyrant" and the book by Brian Jones "The Emperor Domitian." Vespasian
        has just has a recent biography by Barbara Levick titled "Vespasian." Or, you
        may go to my web site:

        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/7094

        David

        Craig wrote:

        > > Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 14:10:09 -0700 (PDT)
        > > From: Lady Marian <marianofsherwood95@...>
        > >Subject: Any Good Books Out There on Pliny/Domition?
        > >

        > > Hi All:
        > >Thanks for answering my questions about "Rome in the First Century" on PBS
        > >(I'll be watching Part II this evening; I had it taped earlier in the
        > >week). Do any of you folks on this list have good book suggestions on the
        > >life of Pliny The Elder/Pliny the Younger/Domition/Vespasian!
        > >Thanks!
        > >

        > >Blessings & Fair Winds,
        > >
        > >Denise
        >
        > I know this will sound "dumb" but... get copies of Pliny's works and read
        > them. They are available in paperback, at Barnes & Noble or online shops
        > like Amazon.com or at your library. Vespasian has a nice bit of fiction
        > written about him by the writer of a Roman Mystery series, and Josephus
        > writes of the time period. His works are also available. I have several
        > copies in my personal library.
        >
        > Caius Fabius

      • Lady Marian
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2001
          Thanks, David, for the info -- and link to your Web pages -- that you provided!

          Blessings & Fair Winds,

          Denise