Re: [Roman_History_Books] Rome

  • Todd Sigler
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001
      Hi Irene (and group)-
      I enjoyed the special for what it was, which was a
      cliff notes version of history. But you are right,
      the repeated images (the one of a window's image on a
      wall, presumably in the Senate seemed to be repeated
      every 5 minutes or so) were annoying and distracting.

      Todd

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001
        There were a lot of image repeats which I think were for budgetary reasons,
        such as the same houses/buildings/reenactment figures shown all over again. I
        have no quarrel with that, I objected to the _number_ of images. It was
        really more the repeat waves, the water and the flames that seemed so
        unnecessary.

        The only image repeat that I thought was really weird was the collapsing
        toga: It was used for both the assassination of Caesar and the discovery of
        Claudius behind the curtain... very unimaginative, IMO.

        The relentless background music is personal gripe of mine for all
        documentaries in recent years: I'm wearing a hearing aid (not deaf enough for
        CC though) and spoken word with music in the background is rather hard to
        follow. They even used it with the talking heads. I think documentary
        producers really have boxed themselves in with that technique. I propose an
        Emmy for the first one who manages to get out of that box <grin>

        Irene
      • David Wend
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001
          I have not yet viewed much of "Rome In The First Century" but it cannot help
          being superficial. I saw a portion where Pliny the Younger was being discussed
          with his role of serving the tyrant Domitian and living to hate it. I find
          Pliny an interesting person but he certainly did enjoy advancement under
          Domitian even though he knew several members of the "Stoic Opposition."
          Domitian could have refused Pliny advancement on this basis. In fact, he
          allowed honors to several people with connections to this group. It is not
          often mentioned that Domitian was somewhat conciliatory to the opposition.

          So, I find programs like this one interesting but no substitute for reading.

          Judy Geary wrote:

          > Hi Denise,
          >
          > Actually I was responding to another's comment. My feeling is that 4 fours
          > to cover essentially 150 years (Part one started with Augustus), must be
          > superficial.
          >
          > Gotta go. Watching a special on gladiators.
          >
          > Judy
          >
          > Lady Marian wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Judy:
          > >
          > > So you thought "Rome in the First Century" was
          > > superficial? If so, why? Just curious ....! :)
          > >
          > > Fair Winds & Blessings,
          > >
          > > Denise
          > >
          > > =====
          > >
          > > Blessings & Fair Winds,
          > >
          > > Denise

        • Judy Geary
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001
              Pliny seems to have had a rather uninterrupted career. Here is a timeline:

              http://www.umich.edu/~classics/latin/231/231pliny.html

              Forum Book Discussions
              http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
            • Lady Marian
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 28, 2001
                Hi All:
                Thanks for answering my questions about "Rome in the First Century" on PBS (I'll be watching Part II this evening; I had it taped earlier in the week). Do any of you folks on this list have good book suggestions on the life of Pliny The Elder/Pliny the Younger/Domition/Vespasian!
                Thanks!

                Blessings & Fair Winds,

                Denise

              • Jimmyjb
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 28, 2001
                  Lady Marian wrote:

                  > ... Do any of you folks on this list have good book suggestions on the life of Pliny The Elder/Pliny the Younger/Domition/Vespasian! Thanks!

                  I don't know about the others but imho Barbara Levick's _Vespasian_ was published by Routledge (in the UK) about three years ago and is still in print. It is probably the only book on Vespasian in print, but very worth while as are all of Dr. Levick's biographies of the early
                  emperors. I believe she has an older work on Claudius, also quite good. Bernard Henderson's treatment of Vespasian in his Five Roman Emperors (based heavily on Plutarch) is also pretty informative, but is long out of print (1927 with a 1970 reprint) and is made obsolete by Levick's
                  research.
                  ----------
                  BTW, I promised Irene a tidbit on Cleopatra and Herod -- possibly of interest to the current book discussion, or the one that has been postponed. Just a bit of irony. Here goes.

                  Julius Caesar and Antony's Cleopatra tried to persuade Marcus to free up some of the lands of Rome's Judaean client Herod the Great to add to her Greater Eastern Empire (or whatever that co-dominion was to be known) but Antony stood by his backer to the north, even though Herod's
                  loyalties had proven fickle, switching allegiances according to the way the power struggle was going...he later switched over to Octavian. Julius had to "disengage" from Cleopatra much as Antony also threw her over.

                  Herod's granddaughter, Queen Berenice (who allegedly had an incestuous relationship with her brother Herod Agrippa II) acted as a Judaean Cleopatra: she was a scheming "eastern princess" who had snared a Roman ruler...in this case Titus. The Senate and People forced Titus to renounce
                  his conniving mistress, much as his predecessors had to drop Cleopatra under popular pressure.

                  I always like to find these parallels in ancient history. Who knows, perhaps Berenice was emulating
                  the Egyptian princess in her way. Berenice was allowed to remain in Rome, where she wielded some influence through her brother Agrippa II. The latter had sided with Rome in the Great Judaean Revolt and was in some favor with the Flavian house. Titus' short life did not permit us to
                  know whether he might have resumed his attachment to Berenice. It says much for Berenice's charms that she was in her forties (and Titus in his twenties) when she was his mistress.

                  Jim Bloom
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 28, 2001
                    [Thank you, Jim, for Herod]

                    Yes, Barbara Levick's "Vespasian" (and her "Claudius") is excellent, as is
                    Pat Southern's "Domitian, Tragic Tyrant".

                    Since each book heavily relies on annalistic data and other ancient records,
                    one can find information on the Plinys too in there.

                    Then there is Julian Bennett's "Trajan, Optimus Princeps", which also deals
                    with Pliny the Younger.

                    You find all these on my reading list:
                    http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm