Re: [Roman_History_Books] Rome In The First Century On PBS

  • Lady Marian
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001
      Hi Judy:

      So you thought "Rome in the First Century" was
      superficial? If so, why? Just curious ....! :)

      Fair Winds & Blessings,

      Denise

      =====

      Blessings & Fair Winds,

      Denise

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Lady Marian
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001
        Thanks, Jay, for sharing your opinion on "Rome in the
        First Century!" Neat observations! So -- would you
        care to perhaps share your photos of your recent trip
        to Rome with us listmates?

        I've seen "Gladiator" (so far) six times, and have
        loved it each time. And have gleaned new
        info/insights from each viewing, too. Even wrote and
        published a short essay on the film's impact on my
        life. And you're right -- this movie will, no doubt,
        spawn other Roman-era type films that once were so
        popular in the 1950's and 1960's. Only question is:
        will these newer films be as high of quality as
        "Gladiator"? One can fervently hope so! (And I do
        hope none will be parodies of toga parties!)

        Denise

        =====

        Blessings & Fair Winds,

        Denise

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • Jay Latona
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001
          Hi Denise.
          I am just now organizing my photos and notes for a website.
          I wanted to accomplish a few things during my impromptu European
          jaunt:
          1. find out about cheap fares to Europe
          2. go through the Forum ruins in Rome again.
          3. explore Sicily and visit Greek/Roman ruins there
          4. and look into my roots on Sicily (somewhere above Agrigento)

          I will let you know the URL once I establish the site.
          Thanks for your interest.

          Regarding "Gladiator":
          1. The acting, costumes, battle scenes, special effects were all
          terrific.
          2. the sense of place and time in Rome was excellent and a credit to
          Ridley Scott the director.
          3. the contrived story involving the Emperor Commodus was tedious
          and not true to history.

          Here's hoping there are producers who have the courage to gather up
          more hundreds of millions of dollars to create more "swords and sandals"
          epics for our viewing pleasure.

          Jay

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001
            In a message dated 7/27/01 3:08:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            marianofsherwood95@... writes:

            > If so, what did
            > you think?

            Not much! Rather uncritical use of available sources. Too many images,
            repeat images, background sound.

            Forum Book Discussions
            http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
          • Todd Sigler
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001
              Hi Irene (and group)-
              I enjoyed the special for what it was, which was a
              cliff notes version of history. But you are right,
              the repeated images (the one of a window's image on a
              wall, presumably in the Senate seemed to be repeated
              every 5 minutes or so) were annoying and distracting.

              Todd

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001
                There were a lot of image repeats which I think were for budgetary reasons,
                such as the same houses/buildings/reenactment figures shown all over again. I
                have no quarrel with that, I objected to the _number_ of images. It was
                really more the repeat waves, the water and the flames that seemed so
                unnecessary.

                The only image repeat that I thought was really weird was the collapsing
                toga: It was used for both the assassination of Caesar and the discovery of
                Claudius behind the curtain... very unimaginative, IMO.

                The relentless background music is personal gripe of mine for all
                documentaries in recent years: I'm wearing a hearing aid (not deaf enough for
                CC though) and spoken word with music in the background is rather hard to
                follow. They even used it with the talking heads. I think documentary
                producers really have boxed themselves in with that technique. I propose an
                Emmy for the first one who manages to get out of that box <grin>

                Irene
              • David Wend
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001
                  I have not yet viewed much of "Rome In The First Century" but it cannot help
                  being superficial. I saw a portion where Pliny the Younger was being discussed
                  with his role of serving the tyrant Domitian and living to hate it. I find
                  Pliny an interesting person but he certainly did enjoy advancement under
                  Domitian even though he knew several members of the "Stoic Opposition."
                  Domitian could have refused Pliny advancement on this basis. In fact, he
                  allowed honors to several people with connections to this group. It is not
                  often mentioned that Domitian was somewhat conciliatory to the opposition.

                  So, I find programs like this one interesting but no substitute for reading.

                  Judy Geary wrote:

                  > Hi Denise,
                  >
                  > Actually I was responding to another's comment. My feeling is that 4 fours
                  > to cover essentially 150 years (Part one started with Augustus), must be
                  > superficial.
                  >
                  > Gotta go. Watching a special on gladiators.
                  >
                  > Judy
                  >
                  > Lady Marian wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi Judy:
                  > >
                  > > So you thought "Rome in the First Century" was
                  > > superficial? If so, why? Just curious ....! :)
                  > >
                  > > Fair Winds & Blessings,
                  > >
                  > > Denise
                  > >
                  > > =====
                  > >
                  > > Blessings & Fair Winds,
                  > >
                  > > Denise

                • Judy Geary
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 27, 2001
                      Pliny seems to have had a rather uninterrupted career. Here is a timeline:

                      http://www.umich.edu/~classics/latin/231/231pliny.html

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 28, 2001
                        Hi All:
                        Thanks for answering my questions about "Rome in the First Century" on PBS (I'll be watching Part II this evening; I had it taped earlier in the week). Do any of you folks on this list have good book suggestions on the life of Pliny The Elder/Pliny the Younger/Domition/Vespasian!
                        Thanks!

                        Blessings & Fair Winds,

                        Denise

                      • Jimmyjb
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 28, 2001
                          Lady Marian wrote:

                          > ... Do any of you folks on this list have good book suggestions on the life of Pliny The Elder/Pliny the Younger/Domition/Vespasian! Thanks!

                          I don't know about the others but imho Barbara Levick's _Vespasian_ was published by Routledge (in the UK) about three years ago and is still in print. It is probably the only book on Vespasian in print, but very worth while as are all of Dr. Levick's biographies of the early
                          emperors. I believe she has an older work on Claudius, also quite good. Bernard Henderson's treatment of Vespasian in his Five Roman Emperors (based heavily on Plutarch) is also pretty informative, but is long out of print (1927 with a 1970 reprint) and is made obsolete by Levick's
                          research.
                          ----------
                          BTW, I promised Irene a tidbit on Cleopatra and Herod -- possibly of interest to the current book discussion, or the one that has been postponed. Just a bit of irony. Here goes.

                          Julius Caesar and Antony's Cleopatra tried to persuade Marcus to free up some of the lands of Rome's Judaean client Herod the Great to add to her Greater Eastern Empire (or whatever that co-dominion was to be known) but Antony stood by his backer to the north, even though Herod's
                          loyalties had proven fickle, switching allegiances according to the way the power struggle was going...he later switched over to Octavian. Julius had to "disengage" from Cleopatra much as Antony also threw her over.

                          Herod's granddaughter, Queen Berenice (who allegedly had an incestuous relationship with her brother Herod Agrippa II) acted as a Judaean Cleopatra: she was a scheming "eastern princess" who had snared a Roman ruler...in this case Titus. The Senate and People forced Titus to renounce
                          his conniving mistress, much as his predecessors had to drop Cleopatra under popular pressure.

                          I always like to find these parallels in ancient history. Who knows, perhaps Berenice was emulating
                          the Egyptian princess in her way. Berenice was allowed to remain in Rome, where she wielded some influence through her brother Agrippa II. The latter had sided with Rome in the Great Judaean Revolt and was in some favor with the Flavian house. Titus' short life did not permit us to
                          know whether he might have resumed his attachment to Berenice. It says much for Berenice's charms that she was in her forties (and Titus in his twenties) when she was his mistress.

                          Jim Bloom
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 28, 2001
                            [Thank you, Jim, for Herod]

                            Yes, Barbara Levick's "Vespasian" (and her "Claudius") is excellent, as is
                            Pat Southern's "Domitian, Tragic Tyrant".

                            Since each book heavily relies on annalistic data and other ancient records,
                            one can find information on the Plinys too in there.

                            Then there is Julian Bennett's "Trajan, Optimus Princeps", which also deals
                            with Pliny the Younger.

                            You find all these on my reading list:
                            http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm