Re: [Roman_History_Books] Between Augustus and I Claudius - Books

  • Andrew Muir
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2001
      Well you could try Graves "Count Belisarius" but personally I find his style
      very dated now. Maybe you should wait for the forthcoming publication of
      "The Conquests of Theodora - A Tale of a Byzantine Empress"

      Andrew
      Message 2 of 7 , May 23, 2001
        In a message dated 5/23/01 8:09:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        drew@... writes:

        > Well you could try Graves "Count Belisarius" but personally I find his style
        > very dated now. Maybe you should wait for the forthcoming publication of
        > "The Conquests of Theodora - A Tale of a Byzantine Empress"

        We are on the whole progressing in chronological order, that's why and how I
        was asking. This includes non-fiction, BTW. (For instance, we have read in
        the past a couple of books of Livy.)

        I have "Count Belisarius" myself. I got it with difficulty from an
        antiquarian, and it certainly is not in many public libraries.

        I'd like to reiterate that any book we read must be readily available, and I
        keep in mind that not everyone has the readies to by the books.

        If you want to start an online discussion of "Count Belisarius", you may do
        so on the secondary forum http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist2/start, where
        we recently have reserved sections of each antique entity for online book
        discussions. Some military historians from the other board,
        http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start, may join you there. I know they
        have read the book.

        I myself have just started reading "The Death of Virgil" by Hermann Broch and
        initiated a thread on it. That book is certainly a difficult one to read and
        not everyone's cup of tea.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2001
          N.S. Gill of the Ancient/Classical History Forum and an active member
          of the chats wrote the following:

          "The relevant sections of Suetonius' Lives of the Caesars, while not
          actually fiction, might bridge the gap if no one can think of a
          decent historical fiction piece between Augustus and Claudius."

          I think that's an excellent idea! We haven't read nonfiction in quite
          a while.

          What do you all think?

        • ptobey@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 23, 2001
            Sounds good to me--I haven't read Lives of the Caesars in a while.
            Pam :-)
          • Judy Geary
            Message 5 of 7 , May 23, 2001
              Works for me!