Between Augustus and I Claudius - Books

    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2001
      I'm searching for something to read for the chat between "Augustus" and "I,
      Claudius/Claudius the God"
      .
      Any suggestions?

      Apart from the quality of the work itself, it has to be either in print
      and/or in the public libraries.

      http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
      Forum Book Discussions
      http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
    • Atlantis Barrier
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2001
        IrenesBooks@... wrote:

        > I'm searching for something to read for the chat between "Augustus" and "I,
        > Claudius/Claudius the God"
        > .
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        >Thorton Wilder's The Ides of March ? :-)
      • Andrew Muir
        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2001
          Well you could try Graves "Count Belisarius" but personally I find his style
          very dated now. Maybe you should wait for the forthcoming publication of
          "The Conquests of Theodora - A Tale of a Byzantine Empress"

          Andrew

          Message 4 of 7 , May 23, 2001
            In a message dated 5/23/01 8:09:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            drew@... writes:

            > Well you could try Graves "Count Belisarius" but personally I find his style
            > very dated now. Maybe you should wait for the forthcoming publication of
            > "The Conquests of Theodora - A Tale of a Byzantine Empress"

            We are on the whole progressing in chronological order, that's why and how I
            was asking. This includes non-fiction, BTW. (For instance, we have read in
            the past a couple of books of Livy.)

            I have "Count Belisarius" myself. I got it with difficulty from an
            antiquarian, and it certainly is not in many public libraries.

            I'd like to reiterate that any book we read must be readily available, and I
            keep in mind that not everyone has the readies to by the books.

            If you want to start an online discussion of "Count Belisarius", you may do
            so on the secondary forum http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist2/start, where
            we recently have reserved sections of each antique entity for online book
            discussions. Some military historians from the other board,
            http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start, may join you there. I know they
            have read the book.

            I myself have just started reading "The Death of Virgil" by Hermann Broch and
            initiated a thread on it. That book is certainly a difficult one to read and
            not everyone's cup of tea.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 23, 2001
              N.S. Gill of the Ancient/Classical History Forum and an active member
              of the chats wrote the following:

              "The relevant sections of Suetonius' Lives of the Caesars, while not
              actually fiction, might bridge the gap if no one can think of a
              decent historical fiction piece between Augustus and Claudius."

              I think that's an excellent idea! We haven't read nonfiction in quite
              a while.

              What do you all think?

            • ptobey@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , May 23, 2001
                Sounds good to me--I haven't read Lives of the Caesars in a while.
                Pam :-)
              • Judy Geary
                Message 7 of 7 , May 23, 2001
                  Works for me!