"Island of Ghosts" Suggested Discussion Point

  • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 1999
      When I sent out the reminder for the upcoming chat of the AOL Reading group,
      I listed some discussion points that might be useful for the chat.

      Here is a copy. Also, you can bookmark them
      <<http://members.xoom.com/placida/discuss.htm>> (AOL members click here: <A
      HREF="http://members.xoom.com/placida/discuss.htm">"Island of Ghosts"
      Discussion Points</A>). Of course you may post your thought or other
      discussion points on this e-mail list.

      Suggested Discussion Points:

      1. We already agreed that the exposition was done in a skillful way. Do you
      think Bradshaw continues well with her description of the culture clash
      between the Sarmatians, the Romans and the Britons, or does she overdo it?

      2. Was the book satisfactory reading? Do you feel that you have gained
      additional knowledge of the Ancient World? Or did you like the book more for
      its story than its setting?

      3. Do you think Bradshaw assigns any importance to religion, or is the
      character Eukairos mainly used to assist the development of Ariantes by
      increasing his knowledge?

      4. How is the suspense created and maintained? Is the hand of the author
      apparent in the plot, or is what happens the natural outgrowth of the
      circumstances, the characters, and their interaction?

      5. Do you like the method of narration, and if so, why?

      6. Can the character development of Ariantes be readily traced? How and why
      did he change?

      7. Do the "essentially evil" characters have any redeeming features? Do the
      "essentially good" characters have any detracting features?

      8. How are the minor characters used? Could some of them have been omitted,
      and if not, why do you think Bradshaw included them?

      9. Could some of the scenes, episodes or instances have been omitted, or are
      all necessary to the course the story takes?

      10. Is there a foreshadowing? Is it "sign posted" by the author?

      11. What makes the last scene a fitting (or unfitting) ending?

      Irene (IrenesBooks@...)
      http://members.xoom.com/placida/index.htm