Re: [Roman_History_Books] FYI: A Final note on my website

  • Denise
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2001
      Harry Turtledove is actually a man!

      Judy Geary <judgea@...> wrote:
      Yes! Druids is a winner ("We are a people who sing.") It takes you back to the soul of the Celtic society.

      Harry Turtledove is an interesting choice. I think of that writer (who was a woman, as I recall) as an SF author. Of course, Gene Wolfe
      wrote some esoteric Greek historical fiction (which is excellent history) and every SF writer I know reads history for inspiration, so
      maybe it makes sense.

      Thanks, JG

      Denise wrote:

      > Here are some more Roman-era books to add to your
      > list: "Household Gods" by Judith Tarr and Harry
      > Turtledove. This is about a modern-day woman who gets
      > transported, via a very interesting "time tunnel"
      > device, to a town on the Roman frontier, circa 170
      > A.D. This modern woman is turned into a female tavern
      > keeper, with one servant, and two kids. She even has
      > a brief conversation with Marcus Aurelius! I found
      > the writing mediocre in some places, but the
      > historical details are rich. Also want to recommend
      > the "Videssos" series of books, also by Harry
      > Turtledove. This is about a Roman legion in Gaul, who
      > also do the "transport thing", only this time, they
      > land in another country altogther, something very
      > similar to Constantinople. I don't remember all of
      > the individual titles off-hand, since I'm at work, and
      > the books in question are at home, but would be happy
      > to supply same, if anybody's interested, and wants to
      > e-mail me off-list. Another recommendation is
      > "Druids", by Morgan Llewelyn. This takes place during
      > Caesar's invasion of Gaul, and his interactions with
      > (and capture of) Vercingorix, the Celtic leader. Good
      > details and believeable characters. Definitely a cut
      > above "Household Gods"!
      >
      > Blessings,
      >
      > Denise

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2001
        marianofsherwood95@... writes:

        > Harry Turtledove is actually a man!

        In fact, it's the pseudonym of H.N. Turteltaub, a Byzantine scholar. He uses
        it fot his alternate history fiction.