FYI: A Final note on my website

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2001
      FYI

      After transferring my website to
      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/, I have done some
      maintenance, making sure links still work.

      A lot of them didn't. I hope I have caught them all.

      The only page which is not completely revised is
      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/l_rep_emp.htm:

      "De Imperatoribus Romanis: An Online Encyclopedia of Roman Emperors" has
      moved to: http://www.roman-emperors.org/, which means that my DIR links to
      all emperors are obsolete. A long list ;-)

      http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
      Forum Book Discussions
      http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
    • Denise
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27, 2001
        Here are some more Roman-era books to add to your
        list: "Household Gods" by Judith Tarr and Harry
        Turtledove. This is about a modern-day woman who gets
        transported, via a very interesting "time tunnel"
        device, to a town on the Roman frontier, circa 170
        A.D. This modern woman is turned into a female tavern
        keeper, with one servant, and two kids. She even has
        a brief conversation with Marcus Aurelius! I found
        the writing mediocre in some places, but the
        historical details are rich. Also want to recommend
        the "Videssos" series of books, also by Harry
        Turtledove. This is about a Roman legion in Gaul, who
        also do the "transport thing", only this time, they
        land in another country altogther, something very
        similar to Constantinople. I don't remember all of
        the individual titles off-hand, since I'm at work, and
        the books in question are at home, but would be happy
        to supply same, if anybody's interested, and wants to
        e-mail me off-list. Another recommendation is
        "Druids", by Morgan Llewelyn. This takes place during
        Caesar's invasion of Gaul, and his interactions with
        (and capture of) Vercingorix, the Celtic leader. Good
        details and believeable characters. Definitely a cut
        above "Household Gods"!

        Blessings,

        Denise

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Judy Geary
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2001
          Yes! Druids is a winner ("We are a people who sing.") It takes you back to the soul of the Celtic society.

          Harry Turtledove is an interesting choice. I think of that writer (who was a woman, as I recall) as an SF author. Of course, Gene Wolfe
          wrote some esoteric Greek historical fiction (which is excellent history) and every SF writer I know reads history for inspiration, so
          maybe it makes sense.

          Thanks, JG

          Denise wrote:

          > Here are some more Roman-era books to add to your
          > list: "Household Gods" by Judith Tarr and Harry
          > Turtledove. This is about a modern-day woman who gets
          > transported, via a very interesting "time tunnel"
          > device, to a town on the Roman frontier, circa 170
          > A.D. This modern woman is turned into a female tavern
          > keeper, with one servant, and two kids. She even has
          > a brief conversation with Marcus Aurelius! I found
          > the writing mediocre in some places, but the
          > historical details are rich. Also want to recommend
          > the "Videssos" series of books, also by Harry
          > Turtledove. This is about a Roman legion in Gaul, who
          > also do the "transport thing", only this time, they
          > land in another country altogther, something very
          > similar to Constantinople. I don't remember all of
          > the individual titles off-hand, since I'm at work, and
          > the books in question are at home, but would be happy
          > to supply same, if anybody's interested, and wants to
          > e-mail me off-list. Another recommendation is
          > "Druids", by Morgan Llewelyn. This takes place during
          > Caesar's invasion of Gaul, and his interactions with
          > (and capture of) Vercingorix, the Celtic leader. Good
          > details and believeable characters. Definitely a cut
          > above "Household Gods"!
          >
          > Blessings,
          >
          > Denise

        • Denise
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2001
            Harry Turtledove is actually a man!

            Denise wrote:

            > Here are some more Roman-era books to add to your
            > list: "Household Gods" by Judith Tarr and Harry
            > Turtledove. This is about a modern-day woman who gets
            > transported, via a very interesting "time tunnel"
            > device, to a town on the Roman frontier, circa 170
            > A.D. This modern woman is turned into a female tavern
            > keeper, with one servant, and two kids. She even has
            > a brief conversation with Marcus Aurelius! I found
            > the writing mediocre in some places, but the
            > historical details are rich. Also want to recommend
            > the "Videssos" series of books, also by Harry
            > Turtledove. This is about a Roman legion in Gaul, who
            > also do the "transport thing", only this time, they
            > land in another country altogther, something very
            > similar to Constantinople. I don't remember all of
            > the individual titles off-hand, since I'm at work, and
            > the books in question are at home, but would be happy
            > to supply same, if anybody's interested, and wants to
            > e-mail me off-list. Another recommendation is
            > "Druids", by Morgan Llewelyn. This takes place during
            > Caesar's invasion of Gaul, and his interactions with
            > (and capture of) Vercingorix, the Celtic leader. Good
            > details and believeable characters. Definitely a cut
            > above "Household Gods"!
            >
            > Blessings,
            >
            > Denise

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2001
              marianofsherwood95@... writes:

              > Harry Turtledove is actually a man!

              In fact, it's the pseudonym of H.N. Turteltaub, a Byzantine scholar. He uses
              it fot his alternate history fiction.