Re: [Roman_History_Books] Deprived??? Damn Right :)

  • Denise
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 26 10:49 AM
      Thanks, Pam! I'll check out Marilyn Todd's books. Are they available in the U.S.? I'm in Seattle, by the way. The Sutcliffe books may be labeled "juvenile", but actually, even adults can enjoy them, since they deal with timeless themes -- loyalty, friendship,conflict, love, etc.

      Blessings,

      Denise

    • Denise
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 26 10:53 AM
        Sutcliffe's books are also labeled "Young Adult" here in the U.S., but I didn't "discover" Sutcliffe's wonderful books until I was an adult (though I'm a kid at heart most days!). Though categorized as "YA", her books still touch upon timeless themes, like loyalty, friendship, love, conflicts, etc. Yes, you're right -- "Sword of Sunset" is about King Arthur!

        Blessings,

        Denise

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 26 11:18 AM
          I will explore the Sutcliff books Roman Britain. I think they are set in the
          2nd century A.D.

          So we'll get there eventually ;-)
        • ptobey@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 26 12:17 PM
            Hi Denise,
            The only one I found was no. 2, Virgin Territory. The first, I Claudia is out
            of print and going for 100 pounds on the book market so hopefully the will
            reprint soon. The others, Virgin Territory, Man Eater, Wolf Whistle and Jail
            Bait, are only available in the UK, but all I did was go to the WH SMith site
            online, whsmith.co.uk, and place an order with a credit card. Shipping was
            less than I thought, and lots less than Amazon UK. And it took less than 2
            weeks to arrive. That's also how I got the latest L. Davis mystery, which
            isn't due here til the end of the year. AND I discovered Rosemary Rowe's
            Germanicus Mosaic and the sequel (i forget the name). Those two take place in
            Roman Britain at the time of Commodus and I enjoyed them. I think it was
            about 4.99 pounds per paperback and I seem to recall the shipping as being
            about 7 pounds for 5 or 6 paperbacks. I haven't found any but Davis in my
            library. I'll have to try the Sutcliffe ones.
            Pam :-)
          • Denise
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 26 6:22 PM
              Thank you for the info, Pam, and also a big "thanks"
              to everybody else who so kindly gave me other book
              suggestions! What a neat group this is so far! I'm
              glad I joined! Do any of you belong to "Ancient
              Sites", by chance? This is also a neat site on the
              web, which features TONS of articles and other info on
              Rome, Egypt, etc., etc.

              Blessings,

              Denise

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 26 7:12 PM
                Ancient Sites has gone under, Pam. It's now Ancient Vines.

                http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
                Forum Book Discussions
                http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 26 7:19 PM
                  Denise, have you visited the Ancient/Classical History Forum yet?