Re: [Roman_History_Books] Next Book Chat May 2: Finishing up McCullough

  • Tanya Block
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2001
      The one that comes to my mind immediately is I, Claudius. I see it
      concetrating more on Livia and her politics to get her husband and son on
      the throne than about Claudius. I saw the film before I read the book, and
      really loved both.

      On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:13:12 -0700 (PDT),
      Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Are there any novels out there about strong, influential women in Rome?
      Either during the Republic or the Empire? How about movies? Or PBS series?

      > Thanks much,
      >
      > Denise
      >

      > IrenesBooks@... wrote:
      > Heius!
      >
      > Our next chat is Wednesday, May 2 in our chat room
      > http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpchat.htm
      >
      > Caesar, A Novel
      > by Colleen McCullough
      >
      > through the end.
      > From April 6 of 49 BC to September 29 of 48 BC
      >
      > We are getting to the end of the McCullough books - are you relieved, or
      do
      > you feel deprived because there is no sequel yet? ;-)
      >
      > Caesar succeeds in Spain...goings on in Rome...we finally meet
      > Cleopatra...Pompey's mind gets spooked by Caesar (and the consulares are
      of
      > no help, nor the brutalities of Labienus)...the battle at
      Pharsalus...exit
      > Pompey...
      >
      > For details and background readings please go to
      > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm.
      >
      > You will find some basic discussion points, as well as useful links at
      > http:// romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/discuss.htm.
      >
      > Note: If you don't have the time or inclination for the chatroom, or are
      too
      > far away geographically, you can always post your thoughts at
      > http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/messages?msg=41.1
      >
      > Transcript from the last chat will be uploaded soon. We strayed a bit
      from
      > the book ;-)
      >
      > Irene
      > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/
      > Co-host, Ancient/Classical History Forum
      > http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
      > Forum Book Discussions
      > http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Send a cool gift with your E-Card
      http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
    • Denise
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26, 2001
        <P> Hi Irene:</P>
        <P>I've read "Beacon of Alexandria" and loved
        it!  Ditto for "Bearkeeper's Daughter", though I
        didn't like it as well as "Beacon."  Just didn't
        seem as well written, though some interesting
        historical things were in there. Thanks for the
        suggestions, though. What is "Island of the Ghosts"
        about?  Does it take place in Roman
        times?<BR></P>
        <P>Denise</P>
        <P>  </P>

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26, 2001
          "Island of Ghosts" takes place in Roman Britain during Marcus Aurelius' reign.

          A group of Samartian horse auxiliaries - sons of nobles mostly - is
          transferred to Britain and Hadrian's wall and has to deal with the different
          culture. Told in first person by the protagonist.