Re: [Roman_History_Books] Next Book Chat May 2: Finishing up McCullough

  • Judy Geary
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 25, 2001
      Hi, Denise. We did read The Bearkeepers Daughter by Gillian Bradshaw, that was good. The empress Theodora was a strong presence in that one. I almost
      hate to admit it, but I really enjoyed The Belt of Gold by Cecelia Holland. It's considerably more sensual than most historical fiction (and the cover on
      my trade paperback copy is really rather tacky), and I know little about the Byzantine era -- but it was a good read. Also, I enjoy Lindsey Davis'
      Helena -- even if I don't have much faith in her history.

      Happy reading! JG

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 25, 2001
        I like the Gillian Bradshaw books, although I would label some of them YA too.

        Not "Bearkeeper's Daughter" though, nor "Island of Ghosts".

        Definitely: "Baecon of Alexandria"

        http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
        Forum Book Discussions
        http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
      • Tanya Block
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26, 2001
          The one that comes to my mind immediately is I, Claudius. I see it
          concetrating more on Livia and her politics to get her husband and son on
          the throne than about Claudius. I saw the film before I read the book, and
          really loved both.

          On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:13:12 -0700 (PDT),
          Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > Are there any novels out there about strong, influential women in Rome?
          Either during the Republic or the Empire? How about movies? Or PBS series?

          > Thanks much,
          >
          > Denise
          >

          > IrenesBooks@... wrote:
          > Heius!
          >
          > Our next chat is Wednesday, May 2 in our chat room
          > http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpchat.htm
          >
          > Caesar, A Novel
          > by Colleen McCullough
          >
          > through the end.
          > From April 6 of 49 BC to September 29 of 48 BC
          >
          > We are getting to the end of the McCullough books - are you relieved, or
          do
          > you feel deprived because there is no sequel yet? ;-)
          >
          > Caesar succeeds in Spain...goings on in Rome...we finally meet
          > Cleopatra...Pompey's mind gets spooked by Caesar (and the consulares are
          of
          > no help, nor the brutalities of Labienus)...the battle at
          Pharsalus...exit
          > Pompey...
          >
          > For details and background readings please go to
          > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm.
          >
          > You will find some basic discussion points, as well as useful links at
          > http:// romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/discuss.htm.
          >
          > Note: If you don't have the time or inclination for the chatroom, or are
          too
          > far away geographically, you can always post your thoughts at
          > http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/messages?msg=41.1
          >
          > Transcript from the last chat will be uploaded soon. We strayed a bit
          from
          > the book ;-)
          >
          > Irene
          > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/
          > Co-host, Ancient/Classical History Forum
          > http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
          > Forum Book Discussions
          > http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Send a cool gift with your E-Card
          http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
        • Denise
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 26, 2001
            <P> Hi Irene:</P>
            <P>I've read "Beacon of Alexandria" and loved
            it!  Ditto for "Bearkeeper's Daughter", though I
            didn't like it as well as "Beacon."  Just didn't
            seem as well written, though some interesting
            historical things were in there. Thanks for the
            suggestions, though. What is "Island of the Ghosts"
            about?  Does it take place in Roman
            times?<BR></P>
            <P>Denise</P>
            <P>  </P>

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 26, 2001
              "Island of Ghosts" takes place in Roman Britain during Marcus Aurelius' reign.

              A group of Samartian horse auxiliaries - sons of nobles mostly - is
              transferred to Britain and Hadrian's wall and has to deal with the different
              culture. Told in first person by the protagonist.