Book Chat: Where do we go after Saylor?

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24 7:22 PM
      We are now at the point of finishing up McCullough and then read the latest
      Saylor.

      This brings us to May 16, not so far away. I've looked for some books and
      historical figures in our chronological reads.

      Cleopatra: There is the excellent

      Memoirs of Cleopatra
      by Margaret George
      Paperback - 964 pages 4 edition (May 1998)
      Griffin Trade Paperback
      ISBN: 0312187459

      However, as you can see, it is quite tome!

      Augustus: There are two good novels out:

      1. Augustus
      by Allan Massie
      Paperback Reprint edition (November 1995)
      Carroll & Graf;
      ISBN: 0786702672
      also known as
      Let the Emperor Speak : A Novel of Caesar Augustus
      ISBN: 0517685183
      This one is out of print, but maybe under that title in your public library!

      The book presents the emperor’s life through a series of documents, giving us
      views such as those of Marcus Agrippa, Cicero, and Antony, including Julia’s
      diaries from Pandateria.

      2. Augustus
      by John Williams
      Paperback Reprint edition (March 1995)
      Univ of Arkansas Pr;
      ISBN: 1557283435

      Augustus tries to explain and justify his actions, first to his grandsons,
      and then to people in general.

      I found both books equally good.

      If you have any other suggestions, please let me know as soon as possible, so
      that I can offer you the choices in a poll.

      Just keep in mind that the book either has to be currently in print or
      available in public libraries. And no young adult literature please.

      If there is an ancient writer or historian you want to discuss, please
      suggest one.

      http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
      Forum Book Discussions
      http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
    • Arthur Patterson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26 12:52 PM
        I am new to the group and have only been at the Chat a couple of times -
        when I have been able to get Wednesday nights off. I teach an evening class
        on Wednesdays. I have, however, been keeping up with the readings and
        have just finished Last Seen In Massilia and Caesar before that.

        I prefer Saylor on account of his fictional ability or at least the mystery aspect
        of his writing. McCollough undoubtedly has taught me more but I find it a bit
        labour intensive for recreational reading.

        In terms of the future, I ordered the book about Augustus by Allan Massie
        and would like to see the group discuss this in the future. This book seems to
        be chronologically relevant after reading Caesar. Anything by Davies or
        Saylor however would suit me fine.

        See you at the Massilia Chat!

        Talie