Next Book Chat May 2: Finishing up McCullough

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2001
      Heius!

      Our next chat is Wednesday, May 2 in our chat room
      http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpchat.htm

      Caesar, A Novel
      by Colleen McCullough

      through the end.
      From April 6 of 49 BC to September 29 of 48 BC

      We are getting to the end of the McCullough books - are you relieved, or do
      you feel deprived because there is no sequel yet? ;-)

      Caesar succeeds in Spain...goings on in Rome...we finally meet
      Cleopatra...Pompey's mind gets spooked by Caesar (and the consulares are of
      no help, nor the brutalities of Labienus)...the battle at Pharsalus...exit
      Pompey...

      For details and background readings please go to
      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm.

      You will find some basic discussion points, as well as useful links at
      http:// romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/discuss.htm.

      Note: If you don't have the time or inclination for the chatroom, or are too
      far away geographically, you can always post your thoughts at
      http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/messages?msg=41.1

      Transcript from the last chat will be uploaded soon. We strayed a bit from
      the book ;-)

      http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
      Forum Book Discussions
      http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
    • Denise
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 25, 2001
        Are there any novels out there about strong, influential women in Rome? Either during the Republic or the Empire? How about movies? Or PBS series?

        Thanks much,

        Denise

        IrenesBooks@... wrote:
        Heius!

        Our next chat is Wednesday, May 2 in our chat room
        http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpchat.htm

        Caesar, A Novel
        by Colleen McCullough

        through the end.
        From April 6 of 49 BC to September 29 of 48 BC

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Judy Geary
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 25, 2001
          Hi, Denise. We did read The Bearkeepers Daughter by Gillian Bradshaw, that was good. The empress Theodora was a strong presence in that one. I almost
          hate to admit it, but I really enjoyed The Belt of Gold by Cecelia Holland. It's considerably more sensual than most historical fiction (and the cover on
          my trade paperback copy is really rather tacky), and I know little about the Byzantine era -- but it was a good read. Also, I enjoy Lindsey Davis'
          Helena -- even if I don't have much faith in her history.

          Happy reading! JG

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 25, 2001
            I like the Gillian Bradshaw books, although I would label some of them YA too.

            Not "Bearkeeper's Daughter" though, nor "Island of Ghosts".

            Definitely: "Baecon of Alexandria"

            http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
            Forum Book Discussions
            http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
          • Tanya Block
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 26, 2001
              The one that comes to my mind immediately is I, Claudius. I see it
              concetrating more on Livia and her politics to get her husband and son on
              the throne than about Claudius. I saw the film before I read the book, and
              really loved both.

              On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:13:12 -0700 (PDT),
              Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              > Are there any novels out there about strong, influential women in Rome?
              Either during the Republic or the Empire? How about movies? Or PBS series?

              > Thanks much,
              >
              > Denise
              >

              > IrenesBooks@... wrote:
              > Heius!
              >
              > Our next chat is Wednesday, May 2 in our chat room
              > http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpchat.htm
              >
              > Caesar, A Novel
              > by Colleen McCullough
              >
              > through the end.
              > From April 6 of 49 BC to September 29 of 48 BC
              >
              > We are getting to the end of the McCullough books - are you relieved, or
              do
              > you feel deprived because there is no sequel yet? ;-)
              >
              > Caesar succeeds in Spain...goings on in Rome...we finally meet
              > Cleopatra...Pompey's mind gets spooked by Caesar (and the consulares are
              of
              > no help, nor the brutalities of Labienus)...the battle at
              Pharsalus...exit
              > Pompey...
              >
              > For details and background readings please go to
              > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm.
              >
              > You will find some basic discussion points, as well as useful links at
              > http:// romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/discuss.htm.
              >
              > Note: If you don't have the time or inclination for the chatroom, or are
              too
              > far away geographically, you can always post your thoughts at
              > http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/messages?msg=41.1
              >
              > Transcript from the last chat will be uploaded soon. We strayed a bit
              from
              > the book ;-)
              >
              > Irene
              > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/
              > Co-host, Ancient/Classical History Forum
              > http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
              > Forum Book Discussions
              > http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist2/start
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Send a cool gift with your E-Card
              http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
            • Denise
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 26, 2001
                <P> Hi Irene:</P>
                <P>I've read "Beacon of Alexandria" and loved
                it!  Ditto for "Bearkeeper's Daughter", though I
                didn't like it as well as "Beacon."  Just didn't
                seem as well written, though some interesting
                historical things were in there. Thanks for the
                suggestions, though. What is "Island of the Ghosts"
                about?  Does it take place in Roman
                times?<BR></P>
                <P>Denise</P>
                <P>  </P>

                http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 26, 2001
                  "Island of Ghosts" takes place in Roman Britain during Marcus Aurelius' reign.

                  A group of Samartian horse auxiliaries - sons of nobles mostly - is
                  transferred to Britain and Hadrian's wall and has to deal with the different
                  culture. Told in first person by the protagonist.