Book Recommendations on the Roman Empire

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 1999
      This is for those of us who are not absolute experts on Roman History :-),
      and like to learn more.
      During the last few months, I've been reading, chronologically, several works
      on the Empire. If you can find them in your local library, I can highly
      recommend them to you.

      Pat Southern: Domitian, Tragic Tyrant
      Michael Grant: The Antonines
      Michael Grant: The Severans
      Stephen Williams: Diocletian and the Roman Recovery

      The last one, which I'm still reading, apparently is the only book on
      Diocletian in English, and it is exceptionally well written! I would propose
      it for our chats, except that I could not find it in any of my local/regional
      libraries and thus doubt that many of you have access to the book short of
      ordering it through the interlibrary net or purchasing it.

      Then of course there is always Gibbon, online
      <<http://books.mirror.org/gb.gibbon.html>>, and off.

      Irene (IrenesBooks@...)
      http://members.xoom.com/placida/index.htm
    • Jacqueline Wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 1999
        Thanks Irene!

        I have the list written down for my next trip to
        the library. I also picked up a book at Barnes
        and Nobles when I got Ghosts. Another Michael
        Grant called GREEK AND ROMAN HISTORIANS,
        Information and Misinformation. It looks good.

        I read the page on Tacitus, which explains his
        bias. Grant rates him as a great literary person
        as opposed to an historian!

        I am looking forward to the first chat. I have
        the book and have just started reading it.
        Should have it finished in about a week. It is
        not one that I can sit down and read in 3 hours.

        Until later
        Jackie

        ===
        Sincerely,

        Jacqueline Wilson
        (Beckwith49)
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22, 1999
          In a message dated 8/22/99 3:26:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          jaw5030@... writes:

          << Another Michael Grant called GREEK AND ROMAN HISTORIANS,
          Information and Misinformation. It looks good. >>

          Yes, that is an excellent book!