Chat Plans for Early 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2000
      Heius!

      Here are our plans for January/February 2001:
      Cicero: de Senectute-de Amicitia-de Divinatione; Loeb #154
      ISBN: 0674991702

      Split over January 3, January 17 and February 7.

      There are some e-texts available:
      Ancient History Sourcebook: Cicero: Old Age, c. 65 BCE:
      http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/cicero-oldage.html
      Ancient History Sourcebook: Cicero: On Friendship (Laelius):
      http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/cicero-friendship.html
      Ancient History Sourcebook: Cicero: Laelius or An Essay on Friendship
      http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/cicero-laelius-melmoth.html
      and:
      Scipio's Dream:
      http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/cicero-republic6.html

      I haven't found an e-text yet on "de divinatione".

      There was some thought of also reading a Steven Saylor mystery: "Venus Throw"
      fits nicely into our chronology. Characters in the book are, amongst others,
      Clodia, Clodius, Caelius and Catull! And his books are all well researched.

      The Venus Throw
      Steven Saylor
      Paperback
      ISBN: 0312957785

      Now, a mystery is best discussed at one sitting so as not to spoil the
      suspense, thus we plan this to happen on February 21. It was suggested to me
      that, if there is more to discuss than can be covered in one chat, to reserve
      the possibility of another one for issues raised.

      So we will play the whole thing by ear…

      Thereafter we will go back to McCullough, at that point her latest book in
      the "Masters of Rome" series, Caesar, A Novel.

      Irene
      http://members.nbci.com/placida/
      http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start