Re: [Roman_History_Books] ROME IN THE DARK AGES -- Extra copies

  • Judy Geary
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2000
      OK. That sounds like a good deal to me (but if you can get the reprint for $7.50
      -- and the '93 is the Constable -- why ask us?) Still, check with these folks for
      coin books -- they have some classics in their local store (which means they'll be
      cheaper than if they're buying from someone else to ship to you) and the website
      http://myron.sjsu.edu/index.htm which has nothing to do with the bookstore,
      but has all sorts of great pages on Roman topics.

      JG

      VGarn80584@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 11/22/00 3:13:48 PM Central Standard Time,
      > judgea@... writes:
      >
      > << I just checked with my local used bookstore here in the mountains of NC.
      > They have access to 16 copies (from web sources, of course) The price ranges
      > from $20 -- $35 plus postage. Most of them are the 1993 reprint -- hard
      > cover --
      > from the UK. They've always been able to get whatever I ask for a reasonable
      > price. (That includes a copy of De Layen for you, Irene.) They also have an
      > extensive collection on Roman coins if you're interested. The e-mail address
      > is
      > mwalpole@...
      >
      > Judy and members:
      >
      > Thank you for checking but this book was published in the United States in
      > 1996 by Barnes and Noble and cost me $7.50 last week from Powell's books in
      > Oregon per phone order. Here's the complete publishing information contained
      > of the printing/copywrite inside page (pg.#8). Copywrite @ 1993 Peter
      > Llewellyn. This edition published by Barnes and Noble, Inc., by arrangement
      > with Constable and Company, Ltd. 1996 Barnes & Noble Books. ISBN
      > 0-76070-136-9 Printed and bound in the United States of America M9877654321
      > BVG.
      >
      > The narrative of the entry into Rome by African monk Fulgentius in 500 AD is
      > priceless. Sacked in 410 and again in 455 I thought Rome was a former city
      > somehow smoking and destroyed like 1945 Berlin. Nothing could be further from
      > the truth. Rome, the city, was in full swing, alive with active games,
      > theaters, active Senate and full of life. The large population will be served
      > with food, police and the other amenities of ancient city life. Wonderful.
      >
      > Thanks much and I look forward to looking at that site you suggested.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Vel

    • david wend
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2000