Re: [Roman_History_Books] ROME IN THE DARK AGES -- Extra copies

  • VGarn80584@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2000
      In a message dated 11/22/00 3:13:48 PM Central Standard Time,
      judgea@... writes:

      << I just checked with my local used bookstore here in the mountains of NC.
      They have access to 16 copies (from web sources, of course) The price ranges
      from $20 -- $35 plus postage. Most of them are the 1993 reprint -- hard
      cover --
      from the UK. They've always been able to get whatever I ask for a reasonable
      price. (That includes a copy of De Layen for you, Irene.) They also have an
      extensive collection on Roman coins if you're interested. The e-mail address
      is
      mwalpole@...

      Judy and members:

      Thank you for checking but this book was published in the United States in
      1996 by Barnes and Noble and cost me $7.50 last week from Powell's books in
      Oregon per phone order. Here's the complete publishing information contained
      of the printing/copywrite inside page (pg.#8). Copywrite @ 1993 Peter
      Llewellyn. This edition published by Barnes and Noble, Inc., by arrangement
      with Constable and Company, Ltd. 1996 Barnes & Noble Books. ISBN
      0-76070-136-9 Printed and bound in the United States of America M9877654321
      BVG.

      The narrative of the entry into Rome by African monk Fulgentius in 500 AD is
      priceless. Sacked in 410 and again in 455 I thought Rome was a former city
      somehow smoking and destroyed like 1945 Berlin. Nothing could be further from
      the truth. Rome, the city, was in full swing, alive with active games,
      theaters, active Senate and full of life. The large population will be served
      with food, police and the other amenities of ancient city life. Wonderful.

      Thanks much and I look forward to looking at that site you suggested.

      Best,

      Vel
    • Judy Geary
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2000
        OK. That sounds like a good deal to me (but if you can get the reprint for $7.50
        -- and the '93 is the Constable -- why ask us?) Still, check with these folks for
        coin books -- they have some classics in their local store (which means they'll be
        cheaper than if they're buying from someone else to ship to you) and the website
        http://myron.sjsu.edu/index.htm which has nothing to do with the bookstore,
        but has all sorts of great pages on Roman topics.

        JG

        VGarn80584@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 11/22/00 3:13:48 PM Central Standard Time,
        > judgea@... writes:
        >
        > << I just checked with my local used bookstore here in the mountains of NC.
        > They have access to 16 copies (from web sources, of course) The price ranges
        > from $20 -- $35 plus postage. Most of them are the 1993 reprint -- hard
        > cover --
        > from the UK. They've always been able to get whatever I ask for a reasonable
        > price. (That includes a copy of De Layen for you, Irene.) They also have an
        > extensive collection on Roman coins if you're interested. The e-mail address
        > is
        > mwalpole@...
        >
        > Judy and members:
        >
        > Thank you for checking but this book was published in the United States in
        > 1996 by Barnes and Noble and cost me $7.50 last week from Powell's books in
        > Oregon per phone order. Here's the complete publishing information contained
        > of the printing/copywrite inside page (pg.#8). Copywrite @ 1993 Peter
        > Llewellyn. This edition published by Barnes and Noble, Inc., by arrangement
        > with Constable and Company, Ltd. 1996 Barnes & Noble Books. ISBN
        > 0-76070-136-9 Printed and bound in the United States of America M9877654321
        > BVG.
        >
        > The narrative of the entry into Rome by African monk Fulgentius in 500 AD is
        > priceless. Sacked in 410 and again in 455 I thought Rome was a former city
        > somehow smoking and destroyed like 1945 Berlin. Nothing could be further from
        > the truth. Rome, the city, was in full swing, alive with active games,
        > theaters, active Senate and full of life. The large population will be served
        > with food, police and the other amenities of ancient city life. Wonderful.
        >
        > Thanks much and I look forward to looking at that site you suggested.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Vel

      • david wend
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 22, 2000