ROME IN THE DARK AGES -- Extra copies

  • VGarn80584@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2000
      List members:

      Hi, I just got a copy of the book ROME IN THE DARK AGES by Peter Llewellyn
      and wondered how hard in would be to drum up extra copies of this book for my
      friends who collect Roman and earlier Byzantine coins and enjoy the history
      associated with these coins?

      Thanks in advance for any information about this matter.

      Vel Garnett
      Omaha NE
    • Judy Geary
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2000
        Ave. I just checked with my local used bookstore here in the mountains of NC.
        They have access to 16 copies (from web sources, of course) The price ranges
        from $20 -- $35 plus postage. Most of them are the 1993 reprint -- hard cover --
        from the UK. They've always been able to get whatever I ask for a reasonable
        price. (That includes a copy of De Layen for you, Irene.) They also have an
        extensive collection on Roman coins if you're interested. The e-mail address is
        mwalpole@...

        Incidentally, here's a web site you might check out (if you haven't already.)
        http://myron.sjsu.edu/index.htm

        JG

      • VGarn80584@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 22, 2000
          In a message dated 11/22/00 3:13:48 PM Central Standard Time,
          judgea@... writes:

          << I just checked with my local used bookstore here in the mountains of NC.
          They have access to 16 copies (from web sources, of course) The price ranges
          from $20 -- $35 plus postage. Most of them are the 1993 reprint -- hard
          cover --
          from the UK. They've always been able to get whatever I ask for a reasonable
          price. (That includes a copy of De Layen for you, Irene.) They also have an
          extensive collection on Roman coins if you're interested. The e-mail address
          is
          mwalpole@...

          Judy and members:

          Thank you for checking but this book was published in the United States in
          1996 by Barnes and Noble and cost me $7.50 last week from Powell's books in
          Oregon per phone order. Here's the complete publishing information contained
          of the printing/copywrite inside page (pg.#8). Copywrite @ 1993 Peter
          Llewellyn. This edition published by Barnes and Noble, Inc., by arrangement
          with Constable and Company, Ltd. 1996 Barnes & Noble Books. ISBN
          0-76070-136-9 Printed and bound in the United States of America M9877654321
          BVG.

          The narrative of the entry into Rome by African monk Fulgentius in 500 AD is
          priceless. Sacked in 410 and again in 455 I thought Rome was a former city
          somehow smoking and destroyed like 1945 Berlin. Nothing could be further from
          the truth. Rome, the city, was in full swing, alive with active games,
          theaters, active Senate and full of life. The large population will be served
          with food, police and the other amenities of ancient city life. Wonderful.

          Thanks much and I look forward to looking at that site you suggested.

          Best,

          Vel
        • Judy Geary
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 22, 2000
            OK. That sounds like a good deal to me (but if you can get the reprint for $7.50
            -- and the '93 is the Constable -- why ask us?) Still, check with these folks for
            coin books -- they have some classics in their local store (which means they'll be
            cheaper than if they're buying from someone else to ship to you) and the website
            http://myron.sjsu.edu/index.htm which has nothing to do with the bookstore,
            but has all sorts of great pages on Roman topics.

            JG

            VGarn80584@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 11/22/00 3:13:48 PM Central Standard Time,
            > judgea@... writes:
            >
            > << I just checked with my local used bookstore here in the mountains of NC.
            > They have access to 16 copies (from web sources, of course) The price ranges
            > from $20 -- $35 plus postage. Most of them are the 1993 reprint -- hard
            > cover --
            > from the UK. They've always been able to get whatever I ask for a reasonable
            > price. (That includes a copy of De Layen for you, Irene.) They also have an
            > extensive collection on Roman coins if you're interested. The e-mail address
            > is
            > mwalpole@...
            >
            > Judy and members:
            >
            > Thank you for checking but this book was published in the United States in
            > 1996 by Barnes and Noble and cost me $7.50 last week from Powell's books in
            > Oregon per phone order. Here's the complete publishing information contained
            > of the printing/copywrite inside page (pg.#8). Copywrite @ 1993 Peter
            > Llewellyn. This edition published by Barnes and Noble, Inc., by arrangement
            > with Constable and Company, Ltd. 1996 Barnes & Noble Books. ISBN
            > 0-76070-136-9 Printed and bound in the United States of America M9877654321
            > BVG.
            >
            > The narrative of the entry into Rome by African monk Fulgentius in 500 AD is
            > priceless. Sacked in 410 and again in 455 I thought Rome was a former city
            > somehow smoking and destroyed like 1945 Berlin. Nothing could be further from
            > the truth. Rome, the city, was in full swing, alive with active games,
            > theaters, active Senate and full of life. The large population will be served
            > with food, police and the other amenities of ancient city life. Wonderful.
            >
            > Thanks much and I look forward to looking at that site you suggested.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Vel

          • david wend
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 22, 2000