Re: [Roman_History_Books] suggested reading list....

  • Judy Geary
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20, 2000
      Hi. Just to suggest a few: Wilbur Smith's books are interesting.
      Lindsey Davis first books (the "metal" books) are fun mysteries, but not
      especially good history, and the last couple are better history, but not as
      much fun. Of course there are Mary Renault's (I liked the Mast of Apollo
      and Persian Boy best) Gillian Bradshaw is good, well researched,
      character-driven fiction. Anita Diamont's The Red Tent, is a great
      exploration of the culture of the time of Joseph (but might be considered a
      "chick book.") Orson Scott Card has a new one out: Sarah: The Women of
      Genesis: I haven't read it yet, but have liked most of his others. If
      you're into Roman Britain and can get past the "young adult" label, Rosemary
      Sutcliff's are also great character-driven fiction.little stories. (They're
      even better if you visit the places she describes and see how well she's
      captured the sense of place.)
      Of course, all these recommendations are completely worthless, because I
      think Steven Saylor is the greatest historical writer who ever lived. (If
      you doubt, look up some of the more unbelievable details in his stories.
      That's what's factual.)

      JG (getorix)

    • haqfar@hotmail.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 22, 2000
          Dear Chris,
          Perhaps you may enjoy Gore Vidal's Julian, or Robert Graves' I Claudius.
          Both novels are well written.
          Cordelia