Roman History Chat

  • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 1999
      We tried the chatroom tonight, works very well.

      I now propose the following schedule: First and Third Wednesday of each
      month at 9:00 p.m. ET for minimum of one hour. (Unlike at Oprah's Book Club
      Community with their huge chat room demand for their 100+ groups, there is no
      time constraint here.) A chat log will be available too.

      This would also allow AOL members to use this as an alternative if they can't
      make the AOL chat, which is every second Thursday from 9:00 to 11:00 p.m. ET
      (though it usually finishes around 10:30.)

      Please respond to this e-mail. I'd like to let the editor of
      Ancient/Classical History know a.s.a.p. so that she can promote the chat on
      her bulletin board.

      This set-up would mean that our first book chat would be Wednesday, September
      1. I will send out a reminder a couple of days before each chat.

      The book is "Island of Ghosts" by Gillian Bradshaw, which is available in
      paperback*. For background reading please check
      http://members.xoom.com/placida/booklist2.htm

      Please read through Chapter VIII (Page 180 in the paperback).

      *To find the best book bargain on the Internet, go to:
      http://www.bestbookbuys.com/, it lists prices for 25 online stores.

      Enjoy!

      Irene
    • MarkowitzH@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20, 1999
        Sorry I was unable to be in on the Thursday chat -- a board meeting that I
        attended continued well beyond its normal 9 pm close.

        Meeting on the first and third Wednesdays, at 9 pm, for one hour, sounds fine
        to me. This will fit into my schedule quite well.

        I am on AOL and have no apparent difficulty accessing the onelist.com site,
        so I do not really understand the alternate Thursday plan. I must have
        missed a lot of discussion on this, explaining the problem for which this is
        the solution. Whatever the other AOLers plan, I see no value at all in
        meeting four times a month so I will skip the Thursday gathering.

        Hal Markowitz
      • ILIADHOMER@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 20, 1999
          The schedule sounds good to me.
          I will attend as often as I can.

          JOHN GOMER
        • Jacqueline Wilson
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 20, 1999
            This is Beckwith49. The first and third wednesday at 9
            ET are fine with me.

            Jackie Wilson

            ===
            Sincerely,

            Jacqueline Wilson

          • Jacqueline Wilson
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 20, 1999
              Hal, the onelist chat is for those of us who can not
              access the AOL chat. This is our only way of
              participating.

              Jackie

              --- MarkowitzH@... wrote:
              > From: MarkowitzH@...
              >
              > Sorry I was unable to be in on the Thursday chat --
              > a board meeting that I
              > attended continued well beyond its normal 9 pm
              > close.
              >
              > Meeting on the first and third Wednesdays, at 9 pm,
              > for one hour, sounds fine
              > to me. This will fit into my schedule quite well.
              >
              > I am on AOL and have no apparent difficulty
              > accessing the onelist.com site,
              > so I do not really understand the alternate Thursday
              > plan. I must have
              > missed a lot of discussion on this, explaining the
              > problem for which this is
              > the solution. Whatever the other AOLers plan, I see
              > no value at all in
              > meeting four times a month so I will skip the
              > Thursday gathering.
              >
              > Hal Markowitz

              > ONElist members, don't miss out on the latest news
              > at ONElist!
              > Join our community member news update
              > http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/onelist_announce
              > "here</A>