Next Book Chat

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2000
      A reminder that our next chat on "The First Man in Rome" is next Wednesday,
      July 5, at 9:00 p.m. ET in our chat room
      http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpchat.htm

      Be prepared to read through the Ninth [Consular] Year -- sorry, but that's
      how the chapters are titled. Hardcover through Page 657, paperback Page 782.

      Meet Aurelia, future mother of Julius Caesar...and Publius Vagiennius, the
      snail man...

      For background information go to
      http://members.xoom.com/placida/booklist2.htm

      Enjoy your read!

      Irene
      http://members.xoom.com/placida/
      http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
        Hi all!

        Our next two book chats will be on "Count Belisarius" by Robert Graves.

        I have provided some background information here: http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm

        Our first chat should be limited through Chapter 12: "Belisarius's Consulship".

        Member of Literature Reading Circle
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/

      • jacklifton@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
          In a message dated 10/22/2005 12:00:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          irenesbooks@... writes:

          When did the office of Consul finally lapse? It started with a Brutus right
          after the expulsion of the Etruscan "kings" from Rome. If Belisarius held the
          office then it had been in existence for more than a thousand years at the
          time. I personally believe that the ancient Romans had a great regard for their
          traditions and that their chosen Fuehrer who Hollywood has dubbed the
          Emperor by appropriating the most acceptable of the terms used in the modern period
          for an absolute ruler put in place and held in place by the military was
          more likely to consider himself the Chief Curule Magistrate and holder of both
          the Tribunican Power and Consular Imperium. Note that the most reliable sign
          of the Senate's appointment to the highest office was the grant of Tribunican
          Power, i.e., the power to over ride the Senate, itself, in the name of the
          popular assembly! By the time of Belisarius, and, I think, well before, the
          offcie of Consul was a grant by the "Emperor" for the purpose of an overall
          sub-imperitorial army command.

          Jack Lifton

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
            I'm not sure.
            This, strictly speaking, falls under "Medieval History," so you might pose your question to the Medieval History Forum: http://historymedren.about.com/mpboards.htm
            irenesbooks@... writes:

[...]

            Historical fiction Historical fiction books Ancient rome art

          • nemesis eudaimonos
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
              Just in case you want to post on the Ancient/Classical History forum about
              this....

              Because when About was a Primedia company "they" got to decide what was
              what, and Ancient/Classical History was awarded an article on Belisarius,
              Justinian and Belisarius are okay for the Ancient/Classical History site at
              About.com.

              Justinian is considered the last of the Roman and the first of the Byzantine
              emperors. According to the article below, it was with Justinian that the
              fiction of a united Mediterranean Roman empire ended. So Justinian is an
              acceptable alternative to Gibbon's 476
              A.D.-ousting-of-Romulus-Augustulus-by-Odoacer Fall of Rome.

              Justinian and the Historian Procopius
              J. A. S. Evans
              Greece & Rome, 2nd Ser., Vol. 17, No. 2. (Oct., 1970), pp. 218-223.
              Stable URL:
              http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0017-3835%28197010%292%3A17%3A2%3C218%3AJATHP%3E2.0.CO%3B2-0

              The following title looked interesting, but I haven't read it:

              The Values of a Classical Education: Satirical Elements in Robert Graves's
              Claudius Novels
              Philip Burton
              The Review of English Studies > New Series, Vol. 46, No. 182 (May, 1995),
              pp. 191-218
              Stable URL:
              http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0034-6551%28199505%292%3A46%3A182%3C191%3ATVOACE%3E2.0.CO%3B2-6

              N.S. Gill

              About Guide to Ancient/Classical History

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
                Unfortunately, the jstor links are not accessible!

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 23, 2005
                  You can find the article on Jstor, though, using the information. It seems a
                  very interesting article that I haven't yet finished. I really like this
                  period. I hope I have time to read/join discussion.