Cannae & Thucydides radio doc links

  • Garummm
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2011
      Salve Irene!

      Gradually getting caught up - I should be back on board with "How to Mellify
      a Corpse"

      Meantime, here are two links -- one from your most recent excursion, the
      second
      just because it was a refreshing look back:

      *Canadian Broadcasting Corp. "Ideas" radio series -- listen free on line*

      *The Ghosts of Cannae *-- discussion with Robert O'Connell (author of the
      book you've just read)
      airdate Thursday Aug 4, 2011
      In 216 BCE, forty-eight thousand men were killed a massive knife fight
      between the Romans
      and Carthaginians in a single day. Military historian *Robert O'Connell *tells
      us about that
      gruesome day, and how armies fought then and now.
      http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2011/08/04/the-ghosts-of-cannae-1/

      *Thucydides - the first journalist*
      About 2,500 years ago, Thucydides travelled ancient Greece, gathering
      stories
      about a brutal war that plunged the ancient world into chaos. He set high
      standards
      for accuracy, objectivity and thoroughness in his reporting. IDEAS producer
      *
      Nicola Luksic* explains why his account of the Peloponnesian War is relevant
      today.

      http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2011/08/15/thucydides-the-first-journalist-1/

      See y'all soon.

      Vale bene