New Member

  • clair@dfw.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 25, 2000
      Hello everyone!

      Just a quick post to introduce myself. My name is Clair and I have
      recently graduated with my degree in art history. I will be going to
      graduate school next year, wanting to earn my MA and PhD in art
      history. Concerning a specialty, right now I am torn between the art
      of Ancient Rome and the Baroque - specifically Bernini and Caravaggio.
      Currently I am reading Seutonius' 12 Caesars and Coleen McCullough's
      The First Man In Rome. Look foward to the posts!

      Clair
    • hmur2003
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 14, 2004
        Hello,

        I am new here. I am wondering the best way to get started with the
        group. Can anybody give me any advice?

        Thank you,

        Helen
      • Mary Harrsch
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 15, 2004
          Hello, Helen. Welcome to the group. Perhaps a good way would be to list
          some of your favorite books or figures from Roman history and tell us why
          they interest you.

          Mary Harrsch
          Network & Information Systems Manager
          College of Education
          University of Oregon
          Eugene, OR 97403
          (541) 346-3554

          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

          Editor
          Roman Times
          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

          I am new here. I am wondering the best way to get started with the
          group. Can anybody give me any advice?

          Thank you,

          Helen

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129lfvqc4/M=313395.5586866.6652554.5263583/D=gr
          oups/S=1705737312:HM/EXP=1100621090/A=2393704/R=1/SIG=12ai9m0a5/*http://adfa
          rm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/4712-24064-1039-7?mpt=1100534690387105> Click Here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=313395.5586866.6652554.5263583/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2393704/rand=346260674>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • David Sigler

              I am new here. I am wondering the best way to get started with the
              group. Can anybody give me any advice?

              Thank you,

              Helen

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129lfvqc4/M=313395.5586866.6652554.5263583/D=gr
              oups/S=1705737312:HM/EXP=1100621090/A=2393704/R=1/SIG=12ai9m0a5/*http://adfa
              rm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/4712-24064-1039-7?mpt=1100534690387105> Click Here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=313395.5586866.6652554.5263583/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2393704/rand=346260674>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 15, 2004
                Welcome, Helen!

                Here is a reading list, although that may be a bit overwhelming:

                http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm

                May I suggest that you browse through this site, with which we are connected and which has a related forum which some of us also frequent: http://ancienthistory.about.com/

                Those 30 years ago, was ther a specific Roman era that you were interested in?

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 15, 2004
                  Oops, I should have whittled it down to http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/romeancientrome/

                  :-)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 15, 2004
                    Thank you Irene

                    No, it is too far back to remember. I was thinking last week that I would
                    like to re some of the books again and familiarise myself with that time
                    period. Then I found this site, and the rest, as they say is ...... History
                    I know. Terrible but I had to say it.

                    I went to the local library today and found a few books but not the ones up
                    for discussion. I think I will ease my self into the group slowly.

                    Helen

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129lfvqc4/M=313395.5586866.6652554
                    5263583/D=gr

                    oups/S=1705737312:HM/EXP=1100621090/A=2393704/R=1/SIG=12ai9m0a5/*http://adfa
                    rm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/4712-24064-1039-7?mpt=1100534690387105> Click Here

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=313395.5586866.6652554
                    5263583/D=groups/S=
                    :HM/A=2393704/rand=346260674>

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    com?subject=Unsubscribe>

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  • Vicki Cline
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 16, 2004
                      Helen, if you're interested in historical fiction, the forum at About.com has a thread on recommended books at
                      http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/messages?msg=3931.1&redirCnt=1

                      If that link doesn't work, you can start at the main page for Ancient History at http://ancienthistory.about.com/ and get into the forum from there. Then go to the folder called "For Writers" and read the topic called "Recommendations vs. Favorites."

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 21, 2004
                        Thank you, Vicki,
                        I find it very difficult to search for and fing items on the forum, so when
                        threads strike me as of broad interest and I have the time, I put them into
                        the Ancient/Classical History blog. Here is the blog URL for the thread you
                        suggested:
                        http://ancienthistory.about.com/b/a/108372.htm

                        N.S. Gill

                        About Guide to Ancient/Classical History
                        http://ancienthistory.about.com

                        >From: Vicki Cline <vcline1@...>
                        >To: Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: RE: [Roman_History_Books] New Member
                        >Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:01:54 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
                        >
                        >Helen, if you're interested in historical fiction, the forum at About.com
                        >has a thread on recommended books at
                        >http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/messages?msg=3931.1&redirCnt=1
                        >
                        >If that link doesn't work, you can start at the main page for Ancient
                        >History at http://ancienthistory.about.com/ and get into the forum from
                        >there. Then go to the folder called "For Writers" and read the topic
                        >called "Recommendations vs. Favorites."
                        >
                        >Vicki

                      • Vicki Cline
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 21, 2004
                          Thanks for this link. I remember seeing this page before but didn't know
                          how to get to it. I'm not very experienced in navigating the About.com
                          site. How does one get to the Ancient/Classical History blog?

                          I find it very difficult to search for and fing items on the forum, so when
                          threads strike me as of broad interest and I have the time, I put them into
                          the Ancient/Classical History blog. Here is the blog URL for the thread you
                          suggested:
                          http://ancienthistory.about.com/b/a/108372.htm

                          N.S. Gill

                          About Guide to Ancient/Classical History
                          http://ancienthistory.about.com

                          >From: Vicki Cline <vcline1@...>
                          >To: Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: RE: [Roman_History_Books] New Member
                          >Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:01:54 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
                          >
                          >Helen, if you're interested in historical fiction, the forum at About.com
                          >has a thread on recommended books at
                          >http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/messages?msg=3931.1&redirCnt=1
                          >
                          >If that link doesn't work, you can start at the main page for Ancient
                          >History at http://ancienthistory.about.com/ and get into the forum from
                          >there. Then go to the folder called "For Writers" and read the topic
                          >called "Recommendations vs. Favorites."
                          >
                          >Vicki

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • nemesis eudaimonos