Horace Odes I: audio in English and Latin

  • Garummm
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2011
      Salvete omnes!

      As we come up on the Horace selections, here's an
      audio version of 38 odes from *Odes I, *downloadable
      for free in English. Latin version also available.

      http://horace21stcentury.com/

      The recordings are companions to the book,
      *Harvesting the Day: Horace for the 21st Century*
      by Colin Anderson.
      Published by Steele Roberts Aotearoa*
      [*Aotearoa being the Maori word for New Zealand --
      it means "Land of the long white cloud"]

      A preliminary work, �Horace on the bus�, won a prize in the
      prestigious 2007 international John Dryden Literary Translation
      Competition, and became the basis of this book.

      I have really enjoyed Anderson's readings. Though
      a New Zealander, his accent is a pretty neutral RP British.
      Listening to him, I am reminded that Horace was popular
      because people *enjoyed* his work. That includes some
      good laughs tucked here and there. Anderson's tone is
      dignified but genuinely conversational, very much in the
      manner of a dinner guest reciting to the other guests in the
      familiarity of the triclinium.

      I'd be interested in others' reaction to the Anderson readings.

      Valete bene
      Garummm