Re: [Roman_History_Books] The Ninth legion

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2000
      In a message dated 6/16/00 5:55:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, neat@...
      writes:

      > I am trying to find a book written about the Ninth or Lost Roman Legion.

      The Lost Legion
      by H. Warner Munn

      It's out of print but there is a review on Amazon.com, and it seems to be the
      one you are looking for.

      (Jim. do you know the book?)

      Irene
      http://members.xoom.com/placida/
      http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
    • Jimmyjb
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2000
        Actually (working from memory) I believe the author is male, Harold Warner Munn,
        who wrote for Weird Tales from the late 1920s and continued in a science fiction or
        more like science fantasy vein until the 1960s. The book "The Lost Legion", if this
        is the one (took place in Caligula's reign) wasn't actually published until 1978 or
        1980...
        they found an unpublished manuscript of his from years earlier. He wrote some
        trilogy about Merlin and that Camelot bunch in the 1960s, plus some stuff about
        werewolves.

        I never read the book. I heard that it was pretty well done, from a guy I used to
        work with...he recommended it to me.

        Not exactly the book you are seeking, but I did read some pretty good fiction about
        Roman legions in Britain back when I was a mere tyke. The books ( I think there were
        three or four) all concerned a certain legion campaigning in Britannia. They were
        written for British high school aged kids to get them into the classics by playing
        on their natural curiosity about wars and warfare. I cannot recall the titles. The
        originals date from
        circa 1915-1920 [ no I didn't read them when they were new]. I picked them up
        at a used bookstore when I was in high school. I think they were pretty well
        researched and I think were read by the Dads (and moms) as much as by the children.

        IrenesBooks@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 6/16/00 5:55:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, neat@...
        > writes:
        >
        > > I am trying to find a book written about the Ninth or Lost Roman Legion.
        > >

        > The Lost Legion
        > by H. Warner Munn
        >
        > It's out of print but there is a review on Amazon.com, and it seems to be the
        > one you are looking for.
        >
        > (Jim. do you know the book?)
        >
        > Irene
        > http://members.xoom.com/placida/
        > Co-host, Ancient/Classical History Forum
        > http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start

        > GIVE YOUR WIFE A BREAK! Lowest prices on maids, lawn care, carpet
        > cleaning, painting and remodeling services in your area at our new FREE website.
      • Jimmyjb
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2000
          Well, it seems that the lost book about the lost legion has been found. There are
          two fictional treatments. First, the one I already mentioned, by Harold Warner Munn.

          The title referred to in the request would appear to be that by Rosemary Sutcliffe,
          _The Lost Legion_ published in 1965. It appears to have taken place in the year 130
          AD. I have taken the liberty of cutting and pasting a reader review from Fred
          Menchen's Roman Fictions site:

          A great book from a unique viewpoint.

          This was the first time I'd read about the Roman occupation of Britain from a
          Roman viewpoint rather than a British one, and this showed a totally new
          perspective. The Romans, at least the ones in Eagle, were depicted as people who
          loved Britain enough to make their home there, and the soldiers as civilized
          fighters rather than conquering barbarians. Speaking historically, the Roman legions
          most likely contained some of both. The mood of this book reminds me of rain and the
          pace is slow, yet engrossing. Even when they are running for their lives, it always
          seems to be in slow motion, but considering the ending, I think this is appropriate.

          Eagle of the Ninth tells the story of a young Roman soldier (Marcus) who is
          discharged from the legions after a crippling injury. After his recovery, he sets
          out on a quest to find out the fate of the Ninth Hispana Legion, which his father
          had led. The Legion had set off to quell a rebellion of the British tribes and
          marched off through the mists, and no one heard from them again. Marcus's goal, with
          the the help of his friend Esca, a freed British slave, is to find out what happened
          to his father's ill-fated Legion and, if possible, bring back its eagle so it could
          be reformed. This story is about people searching for answers to the past, and for
          what their future will hold, and of self-growth.

          -Sarah Meyers 10/99

          Hope this resolves the issue.

          Jim Bloom
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2000
            In a message dated 6/17/00 1:20:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            Jimmyjb@... writes:

            > Hope this resolves the issue.

            Thank you, it will indeed. (I keep forgetting Fred Mench!)

            And I hope that Sally will find the book in time for her parents'
            anniversary. :-)

            Irene
            http://members.xoom.com/placida/
            http://www.delphi.com/ab-ancienthist/start
          • Judy Geary
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2000
              Hi. Rosemary Sutcliff wrote a wonderful book about the son of a man in the
              lost legion trying to find out what happened to them. It may not be the one
              your parents read, but it's great. It's The Eagle of the Ninth

              Enjoy.

              Judy Gear