CBC radio on Ovid

  • Garummm
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2010
      Salve Irene!

      I managed to catch the second half of a repeat CBC (Canadian Broadcasting
      Corporation) documentary on Ovid, aired in two parts on Jan 19 and 20.
      Originally broadcast in March, 2009, it is not available as a podcast, but
      can be purchased as a 2-CD set.
      http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/index.html
      http://www.cbcshop.ca/CBC/shopping/product.aspx?Product_ID=ERIDE00249&Variant_ID=ERIDE00249&lang=en-CA

      The host, Damiano Pietropaulo, has for some years now been producing
      excellent, in-depth documentaries on heritage literature (Dante was another
      Pietropaulo program).

      *THE LOVE SONG OF OVID*
      In December of the year 8 C.E., the great Roman poet Ovid was sent into
      exile, to the far reaches of the Roman Empire. In tearful farewell to his
      beloved city, he saw his life�s work, the 15-book epic poem, *The
      Metamorphoses*, consigned to flames. Ovid died in exile, but copies of his
      poem survived. It became one of the most influential artistic works in
      history, illuminating a clear path for Western culture. Two thousand years
      later, Ovid�s work is still lighting our way out of the dark. *Damiano
      Pietropaolo *traces its cultural journey.

      Vale bene

      Garummm