Re: [Roman_History_Books] No Roads Lead to Rome

  • Hahn Irene
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2010
      "It's 123 A.D.-a time not unlike the present"

      Why is it?

      Irene

      Roman History Books and More
      Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum

      On Jan 19, 2010, at 11:03 AM, viadelprat wrote:

      > Ave!
      >
      > Readers of Roman History might appreciate the ancient diversion with
      > modern overtones offered in my recent novel, "No Roads Lead to Rome."
      >
      > Here's the overview:
      >
      > It's 123 A.D. On the edge of the Roman Empire, a dead governor
      > leaves behind the opportunity of a lifetime.
      >
      > Mysteriously promoted, a senator's son finds himself in an ancient
      > world of trouble. Within days of taking office, Hispania's taxpayers
      > are in open revolt, the legionaries depart to build Hadrian's Wall,
      > and the once-sleepy province is rocked by slave revolts, bread
      > riots, and fad religions.
      >
      > A quixotic saga steeped in humor and history, "No Roads Lead to
      > Rome" chronicles the clumsy schemes of the new governor and his
      > shadowy advisor, a superstitious centurion's struggle to save his
      > faith in the faded ideals of the Republic, and a Jewish rebel's
      > reluctant vow to change the course of history. All are pitted
      > against the Gods, the Emperor, and the decline and fall of damn near
      > everything.
      >
      > It's 123 A.D.-a time not unlike the present-and No Roads Lead to Rome.
      >
      > The novel grew out of my travels and travails during the five years
      > I lived in Barcino, Hispania. I take a few liberties, pursue a bit
      > of speculation, but otherwise try to capture the scenes, smells, and
      > situations of daily life.
      >
      > It's available through amazon.com world wide and many other online
      > stores.
      >
      > Thanks for keeping ancient times relevant!
      >
      > R.S. Gompertz
      > www.noroadsleadtorome.com

    • Onyx Keane
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2010
        I was thinking the same thing Irene.  Glad I was not the only one to notice that comment

        "It's 123 A.D.-a time not unlike the present"

        Why is it?

        Irene

        Roman History Books and More
        Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum

        On Jan 19, 2010, at 11:03 AM, viadelprat wrote:

        > Ave!
        >
        > Readers of Roman History might appreciate the ancient diversion with
        > modern overtones offered in my recent novel, "No Roads Lead to Rome."
        >
        > Here's the overview:
        >
        > It's 123 A.D. On the edge of the Roman Empire, a dead governor
        > leaves behind the opportunity of a lifetime.
        >
        > Mysteriously promoted, a senator's son finds himself in an ancient
        > world of trouble. Within days of taking office, Hispania's taxpayers
        > are in open revolt, the legionaries depart to build Hadrian's Wall,
        > and the once-sleepy province is rocked by slave revolts, bread
        > riots, and fad religions.
        >
        > A quixotic saga steeped in humor and history, "No Roads Lead to
        > Rome" chronicles the clumsy schemes of the new governor and his
        > shadowy advisor, a superstitious centurion's struggle to save his
        > faith in the faded ideals of the Republic, and a Jewish rebel's
        > reluctant vow to change the course of history. All are pitted
        > against the Gods, the Emperor, and the decline and fall of damn near
        > everything.
        >
        > It's 123 A.D.-a time not unlike the present-and No Roads Lead to Rome.
        >
        > The novel grew out of my travels and travails during the five years
        > I lived in Barcino, Hispania. I take a few liberties, pursue a bit
        > of speculation, but otherwise try to capture the scenes, smells, and
        > situations of daily life.
        >
        > It's available through amazon.com world wide and many other online
        > stores.
        >
        > Thanks for keeping ancient times relevant!
        >
        > R.S. Gompertz
        > www.noroadsleadtorome.com

      • Hahn Irene
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 19, 2010
          List of state leaders 123 A.D. Not enlightening either ;-)

          On Jan 19, 2010, at 1:14 PM, Onyx Keane wrote:

          > I was thinking the same thing Irene. Glad I was not the only one to
          > notice that comment

        • Onyx Keane
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 19, 2010
            I  guess we can say that about most times in history.  Some are just worse then others.  Also I am sure all of those who were enlightened had those who claimed they were not.  It is so hard to judge when we are living it.  Lincoln was both loved and despised during his time.  Being Roman history buffs how many times has Julius Caesar been a hero and a villain.  The wonders of it all.