Roman History Reading Group Chat Time to be Decided

  • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 17, 1999
      We have to decide on a date and time for our chat hour on the
      Ancient/Classical History site. The AOL group currently meets every second
      Thursday at 9:00 p.m. ET. These chats are usually for one hour, but I
      extended the time to another hour earlier this year to accommodate some
      newcomers. However, they dropped out, and not many people sign on after
      10:00 p.m. ET.

      So, the logical way would be to limit the AOL chat to 9:00 - 10:00 p.m. again
      and continue it on the Internet from 10:00 to 11:00 p.m. ET. (The Dick
      Francis Reading Group does this successfully.) Some of you are members of
      the AOL group already.

      But "logical" is not always best, so I'm willing to go another day and/or
      another time if the majority of you does not like the above arrangement.
      Weekends are out for me - and probably for most of you - as well as Mondays.
      Wednesdays I would have to skip every once in a while because of an evening
      meeting I have to attend every LAST Wednesday of the month - which would rule
      out Wednesday of next week, of course. Which reminds me that I would like to
      have a co-leader in case I'm not available for a chat.

      Remember, all times used are EASTERN TIME. So if you live in another time
      zone, it will be earlier than 9:00 p.m.

      Please respond here as soon as possible, as the Ancient/Classical History
      Editor will announce the chat in her weekly newsletter, which comes out every
      Monday; which means we may pick up additional people for the chat. BTW, have
      you discovered the Ancient/Classical History Forum yet? Nice information to
      be had there.

      Also, I'd like to run a TEST CHAT this Thursday, August 19, at 9:00 p.m. ET.
      If you are interested, please let me know. We could chat about my trip to
      "Roman" Germany.

      Once we are all settled, you will get e-mail reminders of the chats, usually
      a day or two ahead of time.

      Looking forward to meeting you,

      Irene (IrenesBooks)
      aka "IreneH" as chat name
      http://members.xoom.com/placida
      http://members.xoom.com/placida/booklist2.htm
    • ILIADHOMER@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 17, 1999
        Irene:
        Weekends and Friday evenings are out for me. I also have a Wednesday evening
        meeting once a month. Other than that, I am flexible.
        I would be available for a test chat Thursday, Aug. 19 if you can arrange it.
        Please keep me informed.

        JOHN L. GOMER
      • Jacqueline Wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 17, 1999
          Irene,
          Thursday's are fine with me. I assume that 10 pm
          eastern will be when you get to about.com's chatroom.

          Jackie (Beckwith49)

          ===
          Sincerely,

          Jacqueline Wilson

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 17, 1999
            In a message dated 8/17/99 11:47:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            jaw5030@... writes:

            << Irene,
            Thursday's are fine with me. I assume that 10 pm
            eastern will be when you get to about.com's chatroom >>

            Yes.

            Irene
          • MarkowitzH@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 18, 1999
              Every second Thursday from 9 to 10 sounds OK to me.

              An alternative worth considering is to have the meeting on the second and
              fourth Thursday of each month. That would be two meetings fewer per year, a
              breather now and then, and it might be a bit easier to remember as well. Of
              course, that may not fit into the Internet schedule as easily, and some may
              prefer clocklike regularity. It would not make any difference in August and
              September, so there is no rush to consider this.

              Hal
            • MarkowitzH@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 18, 1999
                Oh yes, I forgot to say, I will come up on this Thursday's test, but I may be
                a bit late as I have a meeting from 7 to 9 that night.

                Hal
              • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 18, 1999
                  In a message dated 8/18/99 9:29:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  MarkowitzH@... writes:

                  <<
                  Every second Thursday from 9 to 10 sounds OK to me. >>

                  There seems to be some confusion here: I'm locked in to the AOL chat every
                  second Thursday 9-10 ET, partially due to tradition and set-up of that book
                  reading community, partially due to chatroom availabilty - remember, we have
                  100+ groups to accomodate there.

                  My recommendation was to either switch to the Internet at 10 that night or
                  select another time and day.

                  Irene
                • eclectic@xxxx.xxxx.xx.xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 18, 1999
                    On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:43:53 EDT, you wrote:

                    >From: IrenesBooks@...
                    >
                    >In a message dated 8/18/99 9:29:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    >MarkowitzH@... writes:
                    >
                    ><<

                    >My recommendation was to either switch to the Internet at 10 that night or
                    >select another time and day.
                    >
                    >Irene

                    I'd love to see it switched to another day as I must often work until
                    9 PM(MST) on Thursdays and Fridays and so would often have to miss the
                    chat if it were on Thursdays.

                    That being said, I realize that it would be impossible to find a day
                    that was acceptable to everyone and if Thursdays are the best day for
                    everyone else, I'd have to be an infrequent participant.

                    Carol
                  • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 18, 1999
                      Maybe, if enough of you come to the trial chat tomorrow night at 9:00 p.m.
                      ET, we can hash this out and find a convenient meeting date/time. I'm of
                      course open to any suggestions and/or compromises.

                      Reminder: The chatroom is at <<http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpchat.htm>>

                      Irene (IrenesBooks@...)