Vespasian's Villa

  • Beverly & Ian Jennings
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2009
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8190955.stm

      See above on the BBC site - "Archaeologists in Italy say they have unearthed
      the remains of a sumptuous villa thought to be the birthplace of the Emperor
      Vespasian."

      Beverly & Ian Jennings

      bjennings3@...

    • Vicky Alvear Shecter
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2009
        I thought Vespasian came from more humble roots--or perhaps that is just
        part of his legend. Does anyone know? Also, if the archaeologists have
        found nothing that "marked it" as belonging to Vespasian's family, doesn't
        it seem a bit of a stretch to claim that it is? Certainly there could be
        more than one wealthy family in that city. It seems to cheapen the really
        exciting archaeological finds when archaeologists make "exciting" claims
        without proof.

        Thanks for sending the link! Vicky

        Vicky Alvear Shecter, Children's Book Author
        ALEXANDER THE GREAT ROCKS THE WORLD
        VOYA Honor List for Nonfiction
        Coming in 2010: CLEOPATRA RULES!
        www.vickyalvearshecter.com
        www.alexanderthegreatrockstheworld.com

        _____

        See above on the BBC site - "Archaeologists in Italy say they have unearthed
        the remains of a sumptuous villa thought to be the birthplace of the Emperor
        Vespasian."

        Beverly & Ian Jennings

        bjennings3@kc. <mailto:bjennings3%40kc.rr.com> rr.com

      • Hahn Irene
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2009
          Thank you. I posted that on Facebook yesterday, I think, and will
          blog it when I'm back from vacation.

          On Aug 7, 2009, at 11:16 PM, Beverly & Ian Jennings wrote:

          > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8190955.stm
          >
          > See above on the BBC site - "Archaeologists in Italy say they have
          > unearthed
          > the remains of a sumptuous villa thought to be the birthplace of the
          > Emperor
          > Vespasian."
          >
          > Beverly & Ian Jennings
          >
          > bjennings3@...