RE: [Roman_History_Books] Time for books suggestions for 2009 chats

  • nemesis eudaimonos
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2008
      Steven Saylor's Roma.
      More Rosemary Rowe, David Wishart.

      N.S. Gill

      Ancient/Classical History Guide
      http://ancienthistory.about.com

      http://ancthist-nsgill.blogspot.com

      ________________________________
      To: Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com
      From: irenesbooks@...
      Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:45:03 -0400
      Subject: [Roman_History_Books] Time for books suggestions for 2009 chats

      Hi, all!

      It's that time of the year again. July/August is when suggestions

      roll in. We like to have it all set up by the fall so that people can

      prepare their holiday wish list, and Bingley can do his shopping

      while on home leave . . .

      There are two givens: The next McCullough in our ongoing read of the

      "Masters of Rome" series: "Caesar's Women" for which we'll need

      probably three chats again considering past experience; and two

      mysteries in December.

      As usual, we are looking for a mix of fiction, non-fiction, and

      ancient writers (another poet perhaps).

      Caveats:

      1. New fiction should be at least a year old so that a paperback

      edition may be available; and

      2. oldies should be available either in the libraries or as used

      books (check amazon.com or abebooks.com). Sometimes there are

      reprints also, as happened with this year's "Ides of March."

      This year's list:

      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/2008readlist.htm

      My (by no means compete) reading list:

      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm

      So put your thinking caps on!

      Roman History Books and More (Blog)

    • bingleyausten
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 19, 2008
        Fiction:
        Lindsey Davis: Poseidon's Gold
        Steven Saylor: The Arms of Nemesis

        Non fiction:
        David Mattingley: An Insular Possession (Roman Britain)

        Ancient Author:
        Terence
        --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Hahn Irene
        <irenesbooks@...> wrote:

        > Hi, all!
        >
        > It's that time of the year again. July/August is when suggestions
        > roll in. We like to have it all set up by the fall so that people can
        > prepare their holiday wish list, and Bingley can do his shopping
        > while on home leave . . .
        >
        > There are two givens: The next McCullough in our ongoing read of the
        > "Masters of Rome" series: "Caesar's Women" for which we'll need
        > probably three chats again considering past experience; and two
        > mysteries in December.
        >
        > As usual, we are looking for a mix of fiction, non-fiction, and
        > ancient writers (another poet perhaps).
        >
        > Caveats:
        >
        > 1. New fiction should be at least a year old so that a paperback
        > edition may be available; and
        >
        > 2. oldies should be available either in the libraries or as used
        > books (check amazon.com or abebooks.com). Sometimes there are
        > reprints also, as happened with this year's "Ides of March."
        >
        > This year's list:
        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/2008readlist.htm
        >
        > My (by no means compete) reading list:
        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm
        >
        > So put your thinking caps on!
        >
        > Irene
        >
        > Roman History Reading Group
        > Roman History Books and More (Blog)
        > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum

      • Vicki Cline
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 22, 2008
          For a couple of different views of Catilina, maybe we could read both
          Saylor's "Catilina's Riddle" and Robert's "The Catiline Conspiracy (SPQR
          II)" to contrast with the portrayal in "Imperium."

          Two I like by Alfred Duggan - "Winter Quarters" about Crassus' failed
          expedition to Parthia and "Children of the Wolf (aka "Founding Fathers")
          about Romulus and how Rome was started.

          The following are books I own but haven't read, so I can't vouch for their
          quality:

          Fiction: Allan Massie: "Augustus", "Tiberius", "Caesar", "Nero's Heirs",
          "Caligula"
          Rex Warner: "Young Caesar", "Imperial Caesar"
          Ancient: "Letters of the Younger Pliny"
          "Histories", "Annals" by Tacitus
          Non-fiction: "Swords Against the Senate" by Erik Hildinger
          "Rubicon" by Tom Holland
          "Caesar" by Adrian Goldsworthy
          "The Education of Julius Caesar" by Arthur Kahn (may be hard to
          find)

          Vicki (vlcroman)

[...]

        • Beverly & Ian Jennings
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 22, 2008
            Vicky's ideas on Catalina sound good. I also own Rubicon by Tom Holland and
            the Caesar biography by Goldsworthy. I have read the Caesar biography but
            not Rubicon.

            I also own The Battle That Stopped Rome by Peter S. Wells and Ghosts of
            Vesuvius by Charles Pellegrino. Ghosts of Vesuvius has a subtitle: A new
            look at the last days of Pompeii, How Towers Fall, and Other Strange
            Connections. I haven't read either of these yet.

            Beverly & Ian Jennings

            bjennings3@...

[...]

          • C. Aurelia Falco Silvana
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 26, 2008
              Salvete omnes!

              Here's some of what I have in my book collection, but haven't (mostly)
              had time to read yet. I'm including my bibliographic data in case any
              of it helps tracking these down.

              Apoogies for duplications -- I haven't checked these against past
              reading lists. Hoping some of this may be of interest for 2009.

              Valete bene
              Garummm

              CLASSICAL AUTHORS:
              Suetonius, THE TWELVE CAESARS.
              [I have Penguin Classics, 1979 paperback]

              Apuleius, THE GOLDEN ASS.
              [have Wordsworth Classics, 1996; paperback]

              VIRGIL'S AENEID, John Dryden's translation
              [Airmont Pub. NY 1968;paperback]

              HORACE: SATIRES AND EPISTLES / PERSIUS: SATIRES
              [Penguin Classics, 1984 paperback]

              THE REPUBLIC OF PLATO, Francis MacDonald Cornford translation, annotated
              [Oxford University Press, c. 1945, repr. 1973; paperback]

              BOOKS ABOUT THE CLASSICAL WORLD

              Frank, Tenney, LIFE AND LITERATURE IN THE ROMAN REPUBLIC
              [University of California Press, Los Angeles, 1971; paperback]

              Fowler, W. Ward, SOCIAL LIFE AT ROME IN THE AGE OF CICERO.
              [MacMillan, NY 1937 (c. 1909); hardbound]

              Morford, Mark P. O. [and Robert J. Lenardon], CLASSICAL MYTHOLOGY, 2nd
              edtion.
              Longman, NY, 1977; paperback]

              HISTORICAL NOVELS & HISTORICAL FICTION

              Whyte, Jack, THE SKY STONE (book one of Dream of Eagles cycle)
              [Penguin, Toronto, 1993; paperback]
              I've read this one, wouldn't mind reading it again. Really enjoyed
              it. May as well begin at the beginning of the "Dream of Eagles"

              George, Margaret, MEMOIRS OF CLEOPATRA
              [St. Martin's Press, NY 1997; paperback -- 964 pp !!!]

              Slaughter, Frank G., CONSTANTINE.
              [Doubleday, NY 1965; hardbound]
              I've read this -- like all of Slaughter's historical fiction, I found
              it extremely well written, great attention to detail, with characters
              that really come alive.

              Vidal, Gore, JULIAN: A historical novel
              [The Reprint Society, London (UK) 1965 (c. 1962); hardcover]
              This might make a good follow-up with Slaughter's "Constantine" --
              Julian was Constantine's nephew. I am intrigued by him as the "last
              bastion" of Roman paganism.
            • mike orley
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 26, 2008
                Salvete Omnes:

                Here are 2 more listings for you reading pleasure:

                Historical fiction"Imperial governor" by George Shipway. based upon the Diaries of
                G. Svetonivs Pavlinvs 61 AD  Governor of Britan

                Also Historical fiction based upon factual background:
                "Goald for The Caesars" by  Florence Seward, based upon the Roman Gold Mining Operations in Eastern Spain

                Vale et Bene
                D. Svetoni Lvpe

                Michael P. Orley