Re:Internet Relay Chats -- more on freeware

  • Clare Shepherd
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
      I have tried, but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
      connected to any program". I did download a "client" called
      "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
      systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
      them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
      as far as I have got.

      Firefox on a Mac doesn't recognise it either.

      Clare
    • Clare Shepherd
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
        We've discovered that AIM has become very volatile lately, so we
        definitely need another chat facility.

        I don't take part in the chats, since I don't want to install AIM on
        my Mac for this reason.

        Clare
      • Jeepers@Alaska.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
          I do not particpate in the chats since AIM
          was chosen for the chats.  I do recommend mIRC . one of the most stable
          platforms around the world with servers in most countries...I prefer to
          use Undernet when using mIRC as there is no registration
          of 'nicks... I 've chatted using mIRC for the last 11 years
          with no difficulty as well it has the abilty to kep logs of the
          chats.  I chose Undernet for a variety of reasons.. one being there are over a
          hundred thousand people on it at anyone time and a choice of rooms
          available..  from #unmentionable rooms to #Philosophy [I chat
          in !#Philosopy]  I like the freewheeling chats with the only rules
          being courtesy and and a check on expletives... if you are not able to
          state your point without profaning others .. then perhaps you
          should not be saying it in the first place... The nature of mIRC is such that
          they who enter the 'room' do so at the good graces of the room owners
          ..and a great deal of control may be exerted over a participatory event,,, there
          are the usual bells and whistles associated with any chat platform.. personally I
          do not use those features.. with the thought ... the chatters ideas
          and words are the contribution.  I chose #Philosophy due to the
          dicussions of ancient classical literature... in truth the discussions
          center mostly on modern thinkers and writers along with their ideas.... the
          rooms usually have between 70-110  chattters at anyone one
          time.. most will monitor the room while a lively discussion takes
          place... I discovered within the group of those who chat there a 'cell'
          of those more than willing to discuss ancient classical or source
          writers and their works... I do miss the chats re books read before AIM was chosen
          as the platform for chats and hold out hope that a new platform might be
          chosen.. for those who want to try mIRC out this is the URL...

          http://www.tucows.com/preview/193827

           I guess I've waxed enthusiastically long enough... thanks for your
          attention

          H. Lightwell

           I have tried,
          but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
          > connected to
          any program". I did download a "client" called

          "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
          > systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
          > them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
          > as far as I have got.
          >

          > Firefox on a Mac
          doesn't recognise it either.

          > Clare

        • Hahn Irene
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
            Unfortunately, it's *.exe file, i.e., it can't be installed on a
            Macintosh computer.

            We are testing Google Talk / Google Talk on the Web on Wednesday.

            Roman History Books and More (Blog)
            Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum

          • Jeepers@Alaska.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
              Greetings Young Miss Irene... more's the
              pity about the McIntosh.  I was not aware that Google was being tested....
              would it be possible to get a 'roadmap' of directions to the
              Google Chat??  Please forgive the profound depths of my ignorance in
              these matters... I would be in luck had I a twelve year old to show
              me the ropes.. not really sure why the knowledge we acquire re computers is
              inversely proportionate to the age of the user.. Thanks in advance of any help:)

              H Lightwell

            • lennep95
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 10, 2008
                --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <samantha@...>
                wrote:

                > I also love the blog and have a white mac! Being a Britisher I dont
                > often manage to schedule my work so I can attend the discussions,
                > however, through the group I have found so many more interesting
                > books to read and do try and keep up with the list and found an e-
                > learning course! Whilst I realise that this post is of no help with
                > chat room debate, I just wanted to say a big thank you to Irene and
                > the group for livening up my day and increasing my Roman library on a
                > far too regular basis!
                > regards
                >
                > Samantha
                >
                > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Beverly & Ian Jennings"
                > <bjennings3@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I love the blog and check it nearly every day. I really enjoy the
                > classical blogger links Irene has listed.

                Thanks for heads-up!

                Irene