Re: Internet Relay Chats -- more on freeware

  • Samantha
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
      I also love the blog and have a white mac! Being a Britisher I dont
      often manage to schedule my work so I can attend the discussions,
      however, through the group I have found so many more interesting
      books to read and do try and keep up with the list and found an e-
      learning course! Whilst I realise that this post is of no help with
      chat room debate, I just wanted to say a big thank you to Irene and
      the group for livening up my day and increasing my Roman library on a
      far too regular basis!
      regards

      Samantha

      --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Beverly & Ian Jennings"
      <bjennings3@...> wrote:

      > I love the blog and check it nearly every day. I really enjoy the
      classical blogger links Irene has listed.

      > Couldn’t we continue to use the Yahoo email list and use another
      chat site? And as to Irene’s question about our type of computer, I
      do NOT have a Mac.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
        I have tried, but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
        connected to any program". I did download a "client" called
        "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
        systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
        them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
        as far as I have got.

        Firefox on a Mac doesn't recognise it either.

        Clare
      • Clare Shepherd
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
          We've discovered that AIM has become very volatile lately, so we
          definitely need another chat facility.

          I don't take part in the chats, since I don't want to install AIM on
          my Mac for this reason.

          Clare
        • Jeepers@Alaska.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
            I do not particpate in the chats since AIM
            was chosen for the chats.  I do recommend mIRC . one of the most stable
            platforms around the world with servers in most countries...I prefer to
            use Undernet when using mIRC as there is no registration
            of 'nicks... I 've chatted using mIRC for the last 11 years
            with no difficulty as well it has the abilty to kep logs of the
            chats.  I chose Undernet for a variety of reasons.. one being there are over a
            hundred thousand people on it at anyone time and a choice of rooms
            available..  from #unmentionable rooms to #Philosophy [I chat
            in !#Philosopy]  I like the freewheeling chats with the only rules
            being courtesy and and a check on expletives... if you are not able to
            state your point without profaning others .. then perhaps you
            should not be saying it in the first place... The nature of mIRC is such that
            they who enter the 'room' do so at the good graces of the room owners
            ..and a great deal of control may be exerted over a participatory event,,, there
            are the usual bells and whistles associated with any chat platform.. personally I
            do not use those features.. with the thought ... the chatters ideas
            and words are the contribution.  I chose #Philosophy due to the
            dicussions of ancient classical literature... in truth the discussions
            center mostly on modern thinkers and writers along with their ideas.... the
            rooms usually have between 70-110  chattters at anyone one
            time.. most will monitor the room while a lively discussion takes
            place... I discovered within the group of those who chat there a 'cell'
            of those more than willing to discuss ancient classical or source
            writers and their works... I do miss the chats re books read before AIM was chosen
            as the platform for chats and hold out hope that a new platform might be
            chosen.. for those who want to try mIRC out this is the URL...

            http://www.tucows.com/preview/193827

             I guess I've waxed enthusiastically long enough... thanks for your
            attention

            H. Lightwell

             I have tried,
            but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
            > connected to
            any program". I did download a "client" called

            "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
            > systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
            > them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
            > as far as I have got.
            >

            > Firefox on a Mac
            doesn't recognise it either.

            > Clare

          • Hahn Irene
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
              Unfortunately, it's *.exe file, i.e., it can't be installed on a
              Macintosh computer.

              We are testing Google Talk / Google Talk on the Web on Wednesday.

            • Jeepers@Alaska.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
                Greetings Young Miss Irene... more's the
                pity about the McIntosh.  I was not aware that Google was being tested....
                would it be possible to get a 'roadmap' of directions to the
                Google Chat??  Please forgive the profound depths of my ignorance in
                these matters... I would be in luck had I a twelve year old to show
                me the ropes.. not really sure why the knowledge we acquire re computers is
                inversely proportionate to the age of the user.. Thanks in advance of any help:)

                H Lightwell

              • lennep95
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 10, 2008
                  --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <samantha@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I also love the blog and have a white mac! Being a Britisher I dont
                  > often manage to schedule my work so I can attend the discussions,
                  > however, through the group I have found so many more interesting
                  > books to read and do try and keep up with the list and found an e-
                  > learning course! Whilst I realise that this post is of no help with
                  > chat room debate, I just wanted to say a big thank you to Irene and
                  > the group for livening up my day and increasing my Roman library on a
                  > far too regular basis!
                  > regards
                  >
                  > Samantha
                  >
                  > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Beverly & Ian Jennings"
                  > <bjennings3@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I love the blog and check it nearly every day. I really enjoy the
                  > classical blogger links Irene has listed.

                  Thanks for heads-up!

                  Irene