Re: [Roman_History_Books] Internet Relay Chats -- more on freeware

  • Hahn Irene
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 8, 2008
      Thank you for your comments, Garummm!

      We've discovered that AIM has become very volatile lately, so we
      definitely need another chat facility.

      The blog http://romanhistorybooks.typepad.com/ I cannot/would not
      change, it has one of the best software and support services around
      and has a number of news organizations as customers, always a good
      indicator. However, anyone can subscribe to it via e-mail -- scroll
      down the to bottom of the left-hand column -- in order to be kept up
      to date as to what Bingley and I are putting up (watch his current
      series on mythology). Or put it on iGoogle, or use the RSS feed (see
      the book mark button almost on top of the right-hand column) for
      whatever place you want it to be in, up to and including Facebook. I
      myself have my favorite blogs on my iGoogle page so I that I can see
      what my Classics blogger friends are doing.

      The website stands alone but can be reached from the blog.

      As to the e-mail list on Yahoo, I'm not sure what the alternative
      could be. We need a place for notifications, posts, and responses by
      subscribers such as yourself. And will the bulk of the current
      subscribers switch or simply go away?

      Suggestions are welcome from all !

      Roman History Books and More (Blog)
      Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum

      On Jun 8, 2008, at 3:44 AM, C. Aurelia Falco Silvana wrote:

      > Salvete omnes!
      >
      > There are many alternatives for chat setups, according to another
      > group I belong to. These centre around "Internet Relay Chats".
      > Here's a link.
      >
      > http://novaroma.org/nr/IRC_%28Nova_Roma%29
      >
      > I have tried, but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
      > connected to any program". I did download a "client" called
      > "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
      > systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
      > them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
      > as far as I have got.
      >
      > You might want to contact the Nova Roma webmaster on this. He is very
      > computer-adept, which is probably why I can't follow this. I am very
      > tired of struggling with computer systems: within the past year, a
      > hard-drive wipe, then a new tower, and persistent problems with the
      > Windows installations. I keep losing capability with each change.
      >
      > I regret I cannot be an authoritative anchor on the chatroom problem.
      > I struggle with no knowledge of what I am doing or why it works. It
      > struck me from the beginning that the Roman Books website was very
      > complicated, given its many layers of access spread over various
      > systems (Yahoo, Aim, Blogs, typepad, etc. etc.) Perhaps it has
      > reached a threshold where things are "short-cicruiting" because there
      > are so many interconnections. Maybe it needs to be simplified.
      >
      > Valete bene
      > Garummm

    • Beverly & Ian Jennings
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 8, 2008
        I love the blog and check it nearly every day. I really enjoy the classical blogger links Irene has listed.

        Couldn’t we continue to use the Yahoo email list and use another chat site? And as to Irene’s question about our type of computer, I do NOT have a Mac.

        Heloise(Beverly)

        Beverly & Ian Jennings

        bjennings3@...

        We've discovered that AIM has become very volatile lately, so we
        definitely need another chat facility.

        The blog http://romanhistorybooks.typepad.com/ I cannot/would not
        change, it has one of the best software and support services around
        and has a number of news organizations as customers, always a good
        indicator. However, anyone can subscribe to it via e-mail -- scroll
        down the to bottom of the left-hand column -- in order to be kept up
        to date as to what Bingley and I are putting up (watch his current
        series on mythology). Or put it on iGoogle, or use the RSS feed (see
        the book mark button almost on top of the right-hand column) for
        whatever place you want it to be in, up to and including Facebook. I
        myself have my favorite blogs on my iGoogle page so I that I can see
        what my Classics blogger friends are doing.

        The website stands alone but can be reached from the blog.

        As to the e-mail list on Yahoo, I'm not sure what the alternative
        could be. We need a place for notifications, posts, and responses by
        subscribers such as yourself. And will the bulk of the current
        subscribers switch or simply go away?

        Suggestions are welcome from all !

        Roman History Books and More (Blog)
        Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum

        On Jun 8, 2008, at 3:44 AM, C. Aurelia Falco Silvana wrote:

        > Salvete omnes!
        >
        > There are many alternatives for chat setups, according to another
        > group I belong to. These centre around "Internet Relay Chats".
        > Here's a link.
        >
        > http://novaroma.org/nr/IRC_%28Nova_Roma%29
        >
        > I have tried, but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
        > connected to any program". I did download a "client" called
        > "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
        > systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
        > them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
        > as far as I have got.
        >
        > You might want to contact the Nova Roma webmaster on this. He is very
        > computer-adept, which is probably why I can't follow this. I am very
        > tired of struggling with computer systems: within the past year, a
        > hard-drive wipe, then a new tower, and persistent problems with the
        > Windows installations. I keep losing capability with each change.
        >
        > I regret I cannot be an authoritative anchor on the chatroom problem.
        > I struggle with no knowledge of what I am doing or why it works. It
        > struck me from the beginning that the Roman Books website was very
        > complicated, given its many layers of access spread over various
        > systems (Yahoo, Aim, Blogs, typepad, etc. etc.) Perhaps it has
        > reached a threshold where things are "short-cicruiting" because there
        > are so many interconnections. Maybe it needs to be simplified.
        >
        > Valete bene
        > Garummm

      • Samantha
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
          I also love the blog and have a white mac! Being a Britisher I dont
          often manage to schedule my work so I can attend the discussions,
          however, through the group I have found so many more interesting
          books to read and do try and keep up with the list and found an e-
          learning course! Whilst I realise that this post is of no help with
          chat room debate, I just wanted to say a big thank you to Irene and
          the group for livening up my day and increasing my Roman library on a
          far too regular basis!
          regards

          Samantha

          --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Beverly & Ian Jennings"
          <bjennings3@...> wrote:

          > I love the blog and check it nearly every day. I really enjoy the
          classical blogger links Irene has listed.

          > Couldn’t we continue to use the Yahoo email list and use another
          chat site? And as to Irene’s question about our type of computer, I
          do NOT have a Mac.

          > Heloise(Beverly)
          >

          > Beverly & Ian Jennings
          >
          > bjennings3@...

        • C. Aurelia Falco Silvana
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
            Salvete omnes!

            I'm wondering if the Yahoo Group site itself couldn't work for chat
            purposes?

            If our esteemed owner/moderator changed all our ratings to
            "unmoderated", we should be able to post directly, and fairly fast.
            I belong to a number of Yahoo Groups, and those for which I am
            unmoderated post almost instantly.

            The big advantage is that each post would have an archive number, and
            all would be reviewable. The one hassle I see is that we would have
            to skip back and forth from the message posting page, to the list of
            accepted messages.

            Just a thought. Simpler is better.

            valete bene
            Garummm

            PS I do like the blog content -- I just find the technical setup to be
            very complex for the relatively low volume of use. As they learned at
            the Denver airport, where the new super-computer baggage system
            consistently lost bags for two years after opening -- the more complex
            a system is, the more unstable it is.
          • Clare Shepherd
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
              I have tried, but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
              connected to any program". I did download a "client" called
              "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
              systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
              them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
              as far as I have got.

              Firefox on a Mac doesn't recognise it either.

              Clare
            • Clare Shepherd
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
                We've discovered that AIM has become very volatile lately, so we
                definitely need another chat facility.

                I don't take part in the chats, since I don't want to install AIM on
                my Mac for this reason.

                Clare
              • Jeepers@Alaska.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
                  I do not particpate in the chats since AIM
                  was chosen for the chats.  I do recommend mIRC . one of the most stable
                  platforms around the world with servers in most countries...I prefer to
                  use Undernet when using mIRC as there is no registration
                  of 'nicks... I 've chatted using mIRC for the last 11 years
                  with no difficulty as well it has the abilty to kep logs of the
                  chats.  I chose Undernet for a variety of reasons.. one being there are over a
                  hundred thousand people on it at anyone time and a choice of rooms
                  available..  from #unmentionable rooms to #Philosophy [I chat
                  in !#Philosopy]  I like the freewheeling chats with the only rules
                  being courtesy and and a check on expletives... if you are not able to
                  state your point without profaning others .. then perhaps you
                  should not be saying it in the first place... The nature of mIRC is such that
                  they who enter the 'room' do so at the good graces of the room owners
                  ..and a great deal of control may be exerted over a participatory event,,, there
                  are the usual bells and whistles associated with any chat platform.. personally I
                  do not use those features.. with the thought ... the chatters ideas
                  and words are the contribution.  I chose #Philosophy due to the
                  dicussions of ancient classical literature... in truth the discussions
                  center mostly on modern thinkers and writers along with their ideas.... the
                  rooms usually have between 70-110  chattters at anyone one
                  time.. most will monitor the room while a lively discussion takes
                  place... I discovered within the group of those who chat there a 'cell'
                  of those more than willing to discuss ancient classical or source
                  writers and their works... I do miss the chats re books read before AIM was chosen
                  as the platform for chats and hold out hope that a new platform might be
                  chosen.. for those who want to try mIRC out this is the URL...

                  http://www.tucows.com/preview/193827

                   I guess I've waxed enthusiastically long enough... thanks for your
                  attention

                  H. Lightwell

                   I have tried,
                  but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
                  > connected to
                  any program". I did download a "client" called

                  "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
                  > systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
                  > them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
                  > as far as I have got.
                  >

                  > Firefox on a Mac
                  doesn't recognise it either.

                  > Clare

                • Hahn Irene
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
                    Unfortunately, it's *.exe file, i.e., it can't be installed on a
                    Macintosh computer.

                    We are testing Google Talk / Google Talk on the Web on Wednesday.

                  • Jeepers@Alaska.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
                      Greetings Young Miss Irene... more's the
                      pity about the McIntosh.  I was not aware that Google was being tested....
                      would it be possible to get a 'roadmap' of directions to the
                      Google Chat??  Please forgive the profound depths of my ignorance in
                      these matters... I would be in luck had I a twelve year old to show
                      me the ropes.. not really sure why the knowledge we acquire re computers is
                      inversely proportionate to the age of the user.. Thanks in advance of any help:)

                      H Lightwell

                    • lennep95
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 10, 2008
                        --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <samantha@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I also love the blog and have a white mac! Being a Britisher I dont
                        > often manage to schedule my work so I can attend the discussions,
                        > however, through the group I have found so many more interesting
                        > books to read and do try and keep up with the list and found an e-
                        > learning course! Whilst I realise that this post is of no help with
                        > chat room debate, I just wanted to say a big thank you to Irene and
                        > the group for livening up my day and increasing my Roman library on a
                        > far too regular basis!
                        > regards
                        >
                        > Samantha
                        >
                        > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Beverly & Ian Jennings"
                        > <bjennings3@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I love the blog and check it nearly every day. I really enjoy the
                        > classical blogger links Irene has listed.

                        Thanks for heads-up!

                        Irene