Internet Relay Chats -- more on freeware

  • C. Aurelia Falco Silvana
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 8, 2008
      Salvete omnes!

      There are many alternatives for chat setups, according to another
      group I belong to. These centre around "Internet Relay Chats".
      Here's a link.

      http://novaroma.org/nr/IRC_%28Nova_Roma%29

      I have tried, but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
      connected to any program". I did download a "client" called
      "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
      systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
      them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
      as far as I have got.

      You might want to contact the Nova Roma webmaster on this. He is very
      computer-adept, which is probably why I can't follow this. I am very
      tired of struggling with computer systems: within the past year, a
      hard-drive wipe, then a new tower, and persistent problems with the
      Windows installations. I keep losing capability with each change.

      I regret I cannot be an authoritative anchor on the chatroom problem.
      I struggle with no knowledge of what I am doing or why it works. It
      struck me from the beginning that the Roman Books website was very
      complicated, given its many layers of access spread over various
      systems (Yahoo, Aim, Blogs, typepad, etc. etc.) Perhaps it has
      reached a threshold where things are "short-cicruiting" because there
      are so many interconnections. Maybe it needs to be simplified.

      Valete bene
      Garummm
    • Hahn Irene
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 8, 2008
        Thank you for your comments, Garummm!

        We've discovered that AIM has become very volatile lately, so we
        definitely need another chat facility.

        The blog http://romanhistorybooks.typepad.com/ I cannot/would not
        change, it has one of the best software and support services around
        and has a number of news organizations as customers, always a good
        indicator. However, anyone can subscribe to it via e-mail -- scroll
        down the to bottom of the left-hand column -- in order to be kept up
        to date as to what Bingley and I are putting up (watch his current
        series on mythology). Or put it on iGoogle, or use the RSS feed (see
        the book mark button almost on top of the right-hand column) for
        whatever place you want it to be in, up to and including Facebook. I
        myself have my favorite blogs on my iGoogle page so I that I can see
        what my Classics blogger friends are doing.

        The website stands alone but can be reached from the blog.

        As to the e-mail list on Yahoo, I'm not sure what the alternative
        could be. We need a place for notifications, posts, and responses by
        subscribers such as yourself. And will the bulk of the current
        subscribers switch or simply go away?

        Suggestions are welcome from all !

        Roman History Books and More (Blog)
        Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum

        On Jun 8, 2008, at 3:44 AM, C. Aurelia Falco Silvana wrote:

        > Salvete omnes!
        >
        > There are many alternatives for chat setups, according to another
        > group I belong to. These centre around "Internet Relay Chats".
        > Here's a link.
        >
        > http://novaroma.org/nr/IRC_%28Nova_Roma%29
        >
        > I have tried, but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
        > connected to any program". I did download a "client" called
        > "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
        > systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
        > them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
        > as far as I have got.
        >
        > You might want to contact the Nova Roma webmaster on this. He is very
        > computer-adept, which is probably why I can't follow this. I am very
        > tired of struggling with computer systems: within the past year, a
        > hard-drive wipe, then a new tower, and persistent problems with the
        > Windows installations. I keep losing capability with each change.
        >
        > I regret I cannot be an authoritative anchor on the chatroom problem.
        > I struggle with no knowledge of what I am doing or why it works. It
        > struck me from the beginning that the Roman Books website was very
        > complicated, given its many layers of access spread over various
        > systems (Yahoo, Aim, Blogs, typepad, etc. etc.) Perhaps it has
        > reached a threshold where things are "short-cicruiting" because there
        > are so many interconnections. Maybe it needs to be simplified.
        >
        > Valete bene
        > Garummm

      • Beverly & Ian Jennings
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 8, 2008
          I love the blog and check it nearly every day. I really enjoy the classical blogger links Irene has listed.

          Couldn’t we continue to use the Yahoo email list and use another chat site? And as to Irene’s question about our type of computer, I do NOT have a Mac.

          Heloise(Beverly)

          Beverly & Ian Jennings

          bjennings3@...

          We've discovered that AIM has become very volatile lately, so we
          definitely need another chat facility.

          The blog http://romanhistorybooks.typepad.com/ I cannot/would not
          change, it has one of the best software and support services around
          and has a number of news organizations as customers, always a good
          indicator. However, anyone can subscribe to it via e-mail -- scroll
          down the to bottom of the left-hand column -- in order to be kept up
          to date as to what Bingley and I are putting up (watch his current
          series on mythology). Or put it on iGoogle, or use the RSS feed (see
          the book mark button almost on top of the right-hand column) for
          whatever place you want it to be in, up to and including Facebook. I
          myself have my favorite blogs on my iGoogle page so I that I can see
          what my Classics blogger friends are doing.

          The website stands alone but can be reached from the blog.

          As to the e-mail list on Yahoo, I'm not sure what the alternative
          could be. We need a place for notifications, posts, and responses by
          subscribers such as yourself. And will the bulk of the current
          subscribers switch or simply go away?

          Suggestions are welcome from all !

          Roman History Books and More (Blog)
          Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum

          On Jun 8, 2008, at 3:44 AM, C. Aurelia Falco Silvana wrote:

          > Salvete omnes!
          >
          > There are many alternatives for chat setups, according to another
          > group I belong to. These centre around "Internet Relay Chats".
          > Here's a link.
          >
          > http://novaroma.org/nr/IRC_%28Nova_Roma%29
          >
          > I have tried, but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
          > connected to any program". I did download a "client" called
          > "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
          > systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
          > them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
          > as far as I have got.
          >
          > You might want to contact the Nova Roma webmaster on this. He is very
          > computer-adept, which is probably why I can't follow this. I am very
          > tired of struggling with computer systems: within the past year, a
          > hard-drive wipe, then a new tower, and persistent problems with the
          > Windows installations. I keep losing capability with each change.
          >
          > I regret I cannot be an authoritative anchor on the chatroom problem.
          > I struggle with no knowledge of what I am doing or why it works. It
          > struck me from the beginning that the Roman Books website was very
          > complicated, given its many layers of access spread over various
          > systems (Yahoo, Aim, Blogs, typepad, etc. etc.) Perhaps it has
          > reached a threshold where things are "short-cicruiting" because there
          > are so many interconnections. Maybe it needs to be simplified.
          >
          > Valete bene
          > Garummm

        • Samantha
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
            I also love the blog and have a white mac! Being a Britisher I dont
            often manage to schedule my work so I can attend the discussions,
            however, through the group I have found so many more interesting
            books to read and do try and keep up with the list and found an e-
            learning course! Whilst I realise that this post is of no help with
            chat room debate, I just wanted to say a big thank you to Irene and
            the group for livening up my day and increasing my Roman library on a
            far too regular basis!
            regards

            Samantha

            --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Beverly & Ian Jennings"
            <bjennings3@...> wrote:

            > I love the blog and check it nearly every day. I really enjoy the
            classical blogger links Irene has listed.

            > Couldn’t we continue to use the Yahoo email list and use another
            chat site? And as to Irene’s question about our type of computer, I
            do NOT have a Mac.

            > Heloise(Beverly)
            >

            > Beverly & Ian Jennings
            >
            > bjennings3@...

          • C. Aurelia Falco Silvana
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
              Salvete omnes!

              I'm wondering if the Yahoo Group site itself couldn't work for chat
              purposes?

              If our esteemed owner/moderator changed all our ratings to
              "unmoderated", we should be able to post directly, and fairly fast.
              I belong to a number of Yahoo Groups, and those for which I am
              unmoderated post almost instantly.

              The big advantage is that each post would have an archive number, and
              all would be reviewable. The one hassle I see is that we would have
              to skip back and forth from the message posting page, to the list of
              accepted messages.

              Just a thought. Simpler is better.

              valete bene
              Garummm

              PS I do like the blog content -- I just find the technical setup to be
              very complex for the relatively low volume of use. As they learned at
              the Denver airport, where the new super-computer baggage system
              consistently lost bags for two years after opening -- the more complex
              a system is, the more unstable it is.
            • Clare Shepherd
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
                I have tried, but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
                connected to any program". I did download a "client" called
                "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
                systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
                them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
                as far as I have got.

                Firefox on a Mac doesn't recognise it either.

                Clare
              • Clare Shepherd
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
                  We've discovered that AIM has become very volatile lately, so we
                  definitely need another chat facility.

                  I don't take part in the chats, since I don't want to install AIM on
                  my Mac for this reason.

                  Clare
                • Jeepers@Alaska.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
                    I do not particpate in the chats since AIM
                    was chosen for the chats.  I do recommend mIRC . one of the most stable
                    platforms around the world with servers in most countries...I prefer to
                    use Undernet when using mIRC as there is no registration
                    of 'nicks... I 've chatted using mIRC for the last 11 years
                    with no difficulty as well it has the abilty to kep logs of the
                    chats.  I chose Undernet for a variety of reasons.. one being there are over a
                    hundred thousand people on it at anyone time and a choice of rooms
                    available..  from #unmentionable rooms to #Philosophy [I chat
                    in !#Philosopy]  I like the freewheeling chats with the only rules
                    being courtesy and and a check on expletives... if you are not able to
                    state your point without profaning others .. then perhaps you
                    should not be saying it in the first place... The nature of mIRC is such that
                    they who enter the 'room' do so at the good graces of the room owners
                    ..and a great deal of control may be exerted over a participatory event,,, there
                    are the usual bells and whistles associated with any chat platform.. personally I
                    do not use those features.. with the thought ... the chatters ideas
                    and words are the contribution.  I chose #Philosophy due to the
                    dicussions of ancient classical literature... in truth the discussions
                    center mostly on modern thinkers and writers along with their ideas.... the
                    rooms usually have between 70-110  chattters at anyone one
                    time.. most will monitor the room while a lively discussion takes
                    place... I discovered within the group of those who chat there a 'cell'
                    of those more than willing to discuss ancient classical or source
                    writers and their works... I do miss the chats re books read before AIM was chosen
                    as the platform for chats and hold out hope that a new platform might be
                    chosen.. for those who want to try mIRC out this is the URL...

                    http://www.tucows.com/preview/193827

                     I guess I've waxed enthusiastically long enough... thanks for your
                    attention

                    H. Lightwell

                     I have tried,
                    but cannot make it work. My browser keeps saying "not
                    > connected to
                    any program". I did download a "client" called

                    "Pidgin" which has the advantage of managing all your various Chat
                    > systems from one screen, and allowing you to modify many features of
                    > them (including nicknames, and, apparently history). However, that's
                    > as far as I have got.
                    >

                    > Firefox on a Mac
                    doesn't recognise it either.

                    > Clare

                  • Hahn Irene
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
                      Unfortunately, it's *.exe file, i.e., it can't be installed on a
                      Macintosh computer.

                      We are testing Google Talk / Google Talk on the Web on Wednesday.

                    • Jeepers@Alaska.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 9, 2008
                        Greetings Young Miss Irene... more's the
                        pity about the McIntosh.  I was not aware that Google was being tested....
                        would it be possible to get a 'roadmap' of directions to the
                        Google Chat??  Please forgive the profound depths of my ignorance in
                        these matters... I would be in luck had I a twelve year old to show
                        me the ropes.. not really sure why the knowledge we acquire re computers is
                        inversely proportionate to the age of the user.. Thanks in advance of any help:)

                        H Lightwell

                      • lennep95
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 10, 2008
                          --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <samantha@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I also love the blog and have a white mac! Being a Britisher I dont
                          > often manage to schedule my work so I can attend the discussions,
                          > however, through the group I have found so many more interesting
                          > books to read and do try and keep up with the list and found an e-
                          > learning course! Whilst I realise that this post is of no help with
                          > chat room debate, I just wanted to say a big thank you to Irene and
                          > the group for livening up my day and increasing my Roman library on a
                          > far too regular basis!
                          > regards
                          >
                          > Samantha
                          >
                          > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Beverly & Ian Jennings"
                          > <bjennings3@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I love the blog and check it nearly every day. I really enjoy the
                          > classical blogger links Irene has listed.

                          Thanks for heads-up!

                          Irene