Alternatiives to AIM

  • C. Aurelia Falco Silvana
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2008
      Salvete omnes!

      Those few of us who turned up on June 4 were repeatedly booted off the
      system by AIM. Considering the ongoing problems with AIM chat, here
      are a couple alternatives to look into:

      1. Google Talk system
      Home page
      http://www.google.com/talk/

      Starting a Group in Google Talk
      http://www.google.com/support/talkgadget/bin/answer.py?answer=70698
      NOTE: link can be embedded in website with one line of code

      Google Talk features
      http://www.google.com/support/talkgadget/bin/answer.py?answer=57680&src=top5&lev=

      2. Yahoo Instant Messenger
      Home page (includes links for international users, by country)
      http://messenger.yahoo.com/

      NOTE: Yahoo IM is supported by advertising, much more obtrusive than
      on Google.

      NOTE 2: MSN messenger / MSN systems may be as insecure as Outlook
      Express, which is famous for "shipping with ports open" which
      reportedly makes it highly hackable and hijackable.

      I'd like to suggest we do a trial with Google Talk on a non-chatroom
      evening, maybe Yahoo Instant Messenger also, then get a consensus and
      then decide if we want to stay with AIM.

      My personal preference would be for Google -- several years'
      experience with their e-mail system tells me it's reliable,
      unobtrusive, and I LOVE Google's policy of "no visual ads."

      Valete bene
      Garummm