Re: [Roman_History_Books] An Irishman Discovered North America , not the crazy Italian.

  • Christos Nüssli
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
      williehowie2002 a écrit :
      > An Irish Monk may actually have discovered America years before Leif
      > Erickson or Christopher Columbus. It is true. In 583 AD, St. Brendan
      > used a boat fashioned from an ash framework and tanned hides treated
      > with pitch to sail across the North Atlantic Ocean. The boat was
      > called a currach and this type of vessel is still used on Ireland's
      > west coat.
      >
      > St. Brendan documented his voyage with a manuscript describing his
      > visits to many islands in search of the `Promised Land' that is still
      > in publication today. Christopher Columbus visited Ireland a few
      > years before his famous voyage to specifically to read the St.
      > Brendan Manuscript.
      >
      > In 1976 Tim Severin built a currach and using a stepping stone path
      > across the North Atlantic, he stopped at the Aran Islands, Hebrides,
      > Faroes and even Iceland to prove the small, but durable currach was
      > capable of making the trip.
      >
      > That's the story. May the worst thing in your day be a blessing and
      > drink with care this St. Patrick's day. Remember you cannot drink all
      > day, unless you start in the morning.
      >
      > William Russeth
      >
      > Author "Fires of Belenus" Wings ePress, www.wings-press.com

      Well, ok, I've read the book of Tim Severin (also the one with the
      Argonauts and that with the Omani dhow too) and all the explanation
      about Brendan travel, but we must also consider that
      a) a literary source (= Brendan manuscript) is not an evidence.
      It could be that the whole story is an initiatory journey or that
      Brendan reached the Azores only.
      b) Tim Severin travel is only a proof that such a travel is possible
      (althought Severin has used some modern techniques and tools: a diving
      mask to repair the leather with needles). Is not a proof that Brendan
      travel is true.

      Best regards