An Irishman Discovered North America , not the crazy Italian.

  • williehowie2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
      An Irish Monk may actually have discovered America years before Leif
      Erickson or Christopher Columbus. It is true. In 583 AD, St. Brendan
      used a boat fashioned from an ash framework and tanned hides treated
      with pitch to sail across the North Atlantic Ocean. The boat was
      called a currach and this type of vessel is still used on Ireland's
      west coat.

      St. Brendan documented his voyage with a manuscript describing his
      visits to many islands in search of the `Promised Land' that is still
      in publication today. Christopher Columbus visited Ireland a few
      years before his famous voyage to specifically to read the St.
      Brendan Manuscript.

      In 1976 Tim Severin built a currach and using a stepping stone path
      across the North Atlantic, he stopped at the Aran Islands, Hebrides,
      Faroes and even Iceland to prove the small, but durable currach was
      capable of making the trip.

      That's the story. May the worst thing in your day be a blessing and
      drink with care this St. Patrick's day. Remember you cannot drink all
      day, unless you start in the morning.

      William Russeth

      Author "Fires of Belenus" Wings ePress, www.wings-press.com

      Check out my website for excerpts and info.
      http://mysite.verizon.net/resr5omo/whrhomepage
    • lennep95
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
        Highly skeptical on all counts . . .

        --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "williehowie2002"
        <williehowie2002@...> wrote:

        > An Irish Monk may actually have discovered America years before Leif
        > Erickson or Christopher Columbus. It is true. In 583 AD, St. Brendan
        > used a boat fashioned from an ash framework and tanned hides treated
        > with pitch to sail across the North Atlantic Ocean. The boat was
        > called a currach and this type of vessel is still used on Ireland's
        > west coat.
        >
        > St. Brendan documented his voyage with a manuscript describing his
        > visits to many islands in search of the `Promised Land' that is still
        > in publication today. Christopher Columbus visited Ireland a few
        > years before his famous voyage to specifically to read the St.
        > Brendan Manuscript.
        >
        > In 1976 Tim Severin built a currach and using a stepping stone path
        > across the North Atlantic, he stopped at the Aran Islands, Hebrides,
        > Faroes and even Iceland to prove the small, but durable currach was
        > capable of making the trip.
        >
        > That's the story. May the worst thing in your day be a blessing and
        > drink with care this St. Patrick's day. Remember you cannot drink all
        > day, unless you start in the morning.
        >
        > William Russeth
        >
        > Author "Fires of Belenus" Wings ePress, www.wings-press.com
        >
        > Check out my website for excerpts and info.
        > http://mysite.verizon.net/resr5omo/whrhomepage

      • Christos Nüssli
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
          williehowie2002 a écrit :
          > An Irish Monk may actually have discovered America years before Leif
          > Erickson or Christopher Columbus. It is true. In 583 AD, St. Brendan
          > used a boat fashioned from an ash framework and tanned hides treated
          > with pitch to sail across the North Atlantic Ocean. The boat was
          > called a currach and this type of vessel is still used on Ireland's
          > west coat.
          >
          > St. Brendan documented his voyage with a manuscript describing his
          > visits to many islands in search of the `Promised Land' that is still
          > in publication today. Christopher Columbus visited Ireland a few
          > years before his famous voyage to specifically to read the St.
          > Brendan Manuscript.
          >
          > In 1976 Tim Severin built a currach and using a stepping stone path
          > across the North Atlantic, he stopped at the Aran Islands, Hebrides,
          > Faroes and even Iceland to prove the small, but durable currach was
          > capable of making the trip.
          >
          > That's the story. May the worst thing in your day be a blessing and
          > drink with care this St. Patrick's day. Remember you cannot drink all
          > day, unless you start in the morning.
          >
          > William Russeth
          >
          > Author "Fires of Belenus" Wings ePress, www.wings-press.com

          Well, ok, I've read the book of Tim Severin (also the one with the
          Argonauts and that with the Omani dhow too) and all the explanation
          about Brendan travel, but we must also consider that
          a) a literary source (= Brendan manuscript) is not an evidence.
          It could be that the whole story is an initiatory journey or that
          Brendan reached the Azores only.
          b) Tim Severin travel is only a proof that such a travel is possible
          (althought Severin has used some modern techniques and tools: a diving
          mask to repair the leather with needles). Is not a proof that Brendan
          travel is true.

          Best regards