Re: allan massie

  • bingleyausten
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2008
      Irene's order is the chronological order of the events, but it is not
      the order the books were written in:

      Augustus: A Novel
      Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
      Caesar
      Antony
      Nero's Heirs
      Caligula

      Some of them are quite difficult to get hold of. I've been looking for
      a copy of Tiberius for some time now.

      --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
      <irenesbooks@...> wrote:

      > Yahoo screwed uo my recent response, so here it is again:
      >
      > the order should be:
      >
      > Caesar
      > Antony
      > Augustus a Novel
      > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
      > Caligula
      > Nero's Heirs
      >
      > go here:
      > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm#massie
      > , which links to my review of Nero's Heirs.
      >
      > Irene
      >

      > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "rufusscott"
      > <rufusscott@> wrote:
      > >
      > > hello all,
      > >
      > > i recently read allan massie's novels "the evening of the world"
      > > and "arthur the king". both were thoroughly researched and
      skillfully
      > > written, with a swift, ironic yet powerfully realistic grasp of their
      > > respective epochs.
      > >
      > > i wondered in what order i should read his roman historical novels.
      > >
      > > thanks.

    • Hahn Irene
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2008
        Bingley, have you tried ABEBooks.com? They have an Australian site
        also: http://www.abebooks.com.au/

        Roman History Books and More (Blog)
        Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum

        On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:44 AM, bingleyausten wrote:

        > Irene's order is the chronological order of the events, but it is not
        > the order the books were written in:
        >
        > Augustus: A Novel
        > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
        > Caesar
        > Antony
        > Nero's Heirs
        > Caligula
        >
        > Some of them are quite difficult to get hold of. I've been looking for
        > a copy of Tiberius for some time now.
        >
        > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
        > <irenesbooks@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yahoo screwed uo my recent response, so here it is again:
        > >
        > > the order should be:
        > >
        > > Caesar
        > > Antony
        > > Augustus a Novel
        > > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
        > > Caligula
        > > Nero's Heirs
        > >
        > > go here:
        > > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/
        > booklist1a.htm#massie
        > > , which links to my review of Nero's Heirs.
        > >
        > > Irene
        > >

        > > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "rufusscott"
        > > <rufusscott@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > hello all,
        > > >
        > > > i recently read allan massie's novels "the evening of the world"
        > > > and "arthur the king". both were thoroughly researched and
        > skillfully
        > > > written, with a swift, ironic yet powerfully realistic grasp of
        > their
        > > > respective epochs.
        > > >
        > > > i wondered in what order i should read his roman historical
        > novels.
        > > >
        > > > thanks.

      • bingleyausten
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2008
          Yes, I looked at them, at least I think it was them. They mainly do
          second hand books don't they? I wouldn't trust a second hand copy
          unless I could actually see it before I bought it.

          --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Hahn Irene
          <irenesbooks@...> wrote:

          > Bingley, have you tried ABEBooks.com? They have an Australian site
          > also: http://www.abebooks.com.au/
          >
          > Irene
          >
          > Roman History Reading Group
          > Roman History Books and More (Blog)
          > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
          >

          > On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:44 AM, bingleyausten wrote:
          >
          > > Irene's order is the chronological order of the events, but it is not
          > > the order the books were written in:
          > >
          > > Augustus: A Novel
          > > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
          > > Caesar
          > > Antony
          > > Nero's Heirs
          > > Caligula
          > >
          > > Some of them are quite difficult to get hold of. I've been looking for
          > > a copy of Tiberius for some time now.
          > >
          > > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
          > > <irenesbooks@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Yahoo screwed uo my recent response, so here it is again:
          > > >
          > > > the order should be:
          > > >
          > > > Caesar
          > > > Antony
          > > > Augustus a Novel
          > > > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
          > > > Caligula
          > > > Nero's Heirs
          > > >
          > > > go here:
          > > > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/
          > > booklist1a.htm#massie
          > > > , which links to my review of Nero's Heirs.
          > > >
          > > > Irene
          > > >

          > > > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "rufusscott"

          > > skillfully
          > > their

          > > novels.

        • Hahn Irene
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2008
            The conditions are usually well described, at least here in the U.S.