Re: allan massie

  • lennep95
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2008
      Yahoo screwed uo my recent response, so here it is again:

      the order should be:

      Caesar
      Antony
      Augustus a Novel
      Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
      Caligula
      Nero's Heirs

      go here:
      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm#massie
      , which links to my review of Nero's Heirs.

      Irene

      --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "rufusscott"
      <rufusscott@...> wrote:

      > hello all,
      >
      > i recently read allan massie's novels "the evening of the world"
      > and "arthur the king". both were thoroughly researched and skillfully
      > written, with a swift, ironic yet powerfully realistic grasp of their
      > respective epochs.
      >
      > i wondered in what order i should read his roman historical novels.
      >
      > thanks.

    • bingleyausten
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2008
        Irene's order is the chronological order of the events, but it is not
        the order the books were written in:

        Augustus: A Novel
        Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
        Caesar
        Antony
        Nero's Heirs
        Caligula

        Some of them are quite difficult to get hold of. I've been looking for
        a copy of Tiberius for some time now.

        --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
        <irenesbooks@...> wrote:

        > Yahoo screwed uo my recent response, so here it is again:
        >
        > the order should be:
        >
        > Caesar
        > Antony
        > Augustus a Novel
        > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
        > Caligula
        > Nero's Heirs
        >
        > go here:
        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm#massie
        > , which links to my review of Nero's Heirs.
        >
        > Irene
        >

        > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "rufusscott"
        > <rufusscott@> wrote:
        > >
        > > hello all,
        > >
        > > i recently read allan massie's novels "the evening of the world"
        > > and "arthur the king". both were thoroughly researched and
        skillfully
        > > written, with a swift, ironic yet powerfully realistic grasp of their
        > > respective epochs.
        > >
        > > i wondered in what order i should read his roman historical novels.
        > >
        > > thanks.

      • Hahn Irene
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2008
          Bingley, have you tried ABEBooks.com? They have an Australian site
          also: http://www.abebooks.com.au/

          Roman History Books and More (Blog)
          Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum

          On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:44 AM, bingleyausten wrote:

          > Irene's order is the chronological order of the events, but it is not
          > the order the books were written in:
          >
          > Augustus: A Novel
          > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
          > Caesar
          > Antony
          > Nero's Heirs
          > Caligula
          >
          > Some of them are quite difficult to get hold of. I've been looking for
          > a copy of Tiberius for some time now.
          >
          > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
          > <irenesbooks@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Yahoo screwed uo my recent response, so here it is again:
          > >
          > > the order should be:
          > >
          > > Caesar
          > > Antony
          > > Augustus a Novel
          > > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
          > > Caligula
          > > Nero's Heirs
          > >
          > > go here:
          > > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/
          > booklist1a.htm#massie
          > > , which links to my review of Nero's Heirs.
          > >
          > > Irene
          > >

          > > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "rufusscott"
          > > <rufusscott@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > hello all,
          > > >
          > > > i recently read allan massie's novels "the evening of the world"
          > > > and "arthur the king". both were thoroughly researched and
          > skillfully
          > > > written, with a swift, ironic yet powerfully realistic grasp of
          > their
          > > > respective epochs.
          > > >
          > > > i wondered in what order i should read his roman historical
          > novels.
          > > >
          > > > thanks.

        • bingleyausten
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2008
            Yes, I looked at them, at least I think it was them. They mainly do
            second hand books don't they? I wouldn't trust a second hand copy
            unless I could actually see it before I bought it.

            --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Hahn Irene
            <irenesbooks@...> wrote:

            > Bingley, have you tried ABEBooks.com? They have an Australian site
            > also: http://www.abebooks.com.au/
            >
            > Irene
            >
            > Roman History Reading Group
            > Roman History Books and More (Blog)
            > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
            >

            > On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:44 AM, bingleyausten wrote:
            >
            > > Irene's order is the chronological order of the events, but it is not
            > > the order the books were written in:
            > >
            > > Augustus: A Novel
            > > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
            > > Caesar
            > > Antony
            > > Nero's Heirs
            > > Caligula
            > >
            > > Some of them are quite difficult to get hold of. I've been looking for
            > > a copy of Tiberius for some time now.
            > >
            > > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
            > > <irenesbooks@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Yahoo screwed uo my recent response, so here it is again:
            > > >
            > > > the order should be:
            > > >
            > > > Caesar
            > > > Antony
            > > > Augustus a Novel
            > > > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
            > > > Caligula
            > > > Nero's Heirs
            > > >
            > > > go here:
            > > > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/
            > > booklist1a.htm#massie
            > > > , which links to my review of Nero's Heirs.
            > > >
            > > > Irene
            > > >

            > > > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "rufusscott"

            > > skillfully
            > > their

            > > novels.

          • Hahn Irene
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2008
              The conditions are usually well described, at least here in the U.S.