allan massie

  • rufusscott
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4 1:53 AM
      hello all,

      i recently read allan massie's novels "the evening of the world"
      and "arthur the king". both were thoroughly researched and skillfully
      written, with a swift, ironic yet powerfully realistic grasp of their
      respective epochs.

      i wondered in what order i should read his roman historical novels.

      thanks.
    • lennep95
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4 8:47 AM
        Yahoo screwed uo my recent response, so here it is again:

        the order should be:

        Caesar
        Antony
        Augustus a Novel
        Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
        Caligula
        Nero's Heirs

        go here:
        http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm#massie
        , which links to my review of Nero's Heirs.

        Irene

        --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "rufusscott"
        <rufusscott@...> wrote:

        > hello all,
        >
        > i recently read allan massie's novels "the evening of the world"
        > and "arthur the king". both were thoroughly researched and skillfully
        > written, with a swift, ironic yet powerfully realistic grasp of their
        > respective epochs.
        >
        > i wondered in what order i should read his roman historical novels.
        >
        > thanks.

      • bingleyausten
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5 6:44 AM
          Irene's order is the chronological order of the events, but it is not
          the order the books were written in:

          Augustus: A Novel
          Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
          Caesar
          Antony
          Nero's Heirs
          Caligula

          Some of them are quite difficult to get hold of. I've been looking for
          a copy of Tiberius for some time now.

          --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
          <irenesbooks@...> wrote:

          > Yahoo screwed uo my recent response, so here it is again:
          >
          > the order should be:
          >
          > Caesar
          > Antony
          > Augustus a Novel
          > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
          > Caligula
          > Nero's Heirs
          >
          > go here:
          > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm#massie
          > , which links to my review of Nero's Heirs.
          >
          > Irene
          >

          > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "rufusscott"
          > <rufusscott@> wrote:
          > >
          > > hello all,
          > >
          > > i recently read allan massie's novels "the evening of the world"
          > > and "arthur the king". both were thoroughly researched and
          skillfully
          > > written, with a swift, ironic yet powerfully realistic grasp of their
          > > respective epochs.
          > >
          > > i wondered in what order i should read his roman historical novels.
          > >
          > > thanks.

        • Hahn Irene
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5 8:38 AM
            Bingley, have you tried ABEBooks.com? They have an Australian site
            also: http://www.abebooks.com.au/

            Roman History Books and More (Blog)
            Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum

            On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:44 AM, bingleyausten wrote:

            > Irene's order is the chronological order of the events, but it is not
            > the order the books were written in:
            >
            > Augustus: A Novel
            > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
            > Caesar
            > Antony
            > Nero's Heirs
            > Caligula
            >
            > Some of them are quite difficult to get hold of. I've been looking for
            > a copy of Tiberius for some time now.
            >
            > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
            > <irenesbooks@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Yahoo screwed uo my recent response, so here it is again:
            > >
            > > the order should be:
            > >
            > > Caesar
            > > Antony
            > > Augustus a Novel
            > > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
            > > Caligula
            > > Nero's Heirs
            > >
            > > go here:
            > > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/
            > booklist1a.htm#massie
            > > , which links to my review of Nero's Heirs.
            > >
            > > Irene
            > >

            > > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "rufusscott"
            > > <rufusscott@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > hello all,
            > > >
            > > > i recently read allan massie's novels "the evening of the world"
            > > > and "arthur the king". both were thoroughly researched and
            > skillfully
            > > > written, with a swift, ironic yet powerfully realistic grasp of
            > their
            > > > respective epochs.
            > > >
            > > > i wondered in what order i should read his roman historical
            > novels.
            > > >
            > > > thanks.

          • bingleyausten
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6 5:55 AM
              Yes, I looked at them, at least I think it was them. They mainly do
              second hand books don't they? I wouldn't trust a second hand copy
              unless I could actually see it before I bought it.

              --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Hahn Irene
              <irenesbooks@...> wrote:

              > Bingley, have you tried ABEBooks.com? They have an Australian site
              > also: http://www.abebooks.com.au/
              >
              > Irene
              >
              > Roman History Reading Group
              > Roman History Books and More (Blog)
              > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
              >

              > On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:44 AM, bingleyausten wrote:
              >
              > > Irene's order is the chronological order of the events, but it is not
              > > the order the books were written in:
              > >
              > > Augustus: A Novel
              > > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
              > > Caesar
              > > Antony
              > > Nero's Heirs
              > > Caligula
              > >
              > > Some of them are quite difficult to get hold of. I've been looking for
              > > a copy of Tiberius for some time now.
              > >
              > > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
              > > <irenesbooks@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Yahoo screwed uo my recent response, so here it is again:
              > > >
              > > > the order should be:
              > > >
              > > > Caesar
              > > > Antony
              > > > Augustus a Novel
              > > > Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor
              > > > Caligula
              > > > Nero's Heirs
              > > >
              > > > go here:
              > > > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/
              > > booklist1a.htm#massie
              > > > , which links to my review of Nero's Heirs.
              > > >
              > > > Irene
              > > >

              > > > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "rufusscott"

              > > skillfully
              > > their

              > > novels.

            • Hahn Irene
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6 6:52 AM
                The conditions are usually well described, at least here in the U.S.