Norman Mailer's "Ancient Evenings"

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2007
      Peter Stothart in his blog today, http://timescolumns.typepad.com/
      stothard/, discusses Norman Mailer and mentiones his "Ancient Evenings."

      Has anyone read that book?

      Roman History Books and More (Blog)
      http://romanhistorybooks.typepad.com/
      Member of Literature Reading Circle
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/

    • bingleyausten
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2007
        Yes, I have, although it was a while ago now. It's the only one of
        Norman Mailer's which I have read. It was a gripping yarn about the
        lives of someone under the Ramses kings who learns to project
        himself into a foetus when he's dying, and so basically could, in
        theory, live for ever. Of course he eventually miscalculates and
        dies. The bulk of the book is taken up by his life under Ramses II,
        which is a marvellously convincing re-creation of the time. It could
        stand alone without the rest, particularly the prologue and epilogue
        which do detract from it a bit.

        --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Irene Hahn
        <irenesbooks@...> wrote:

        > Peter Stothart in his blog today, http://timescolumns.typepad.com/
        > stothard/, discusses Norman Mailer and mentiones his "Ancient
        Evenings."

        > Has anyone read that book?
        >
        > Irene
        >
        > Roman History Reading Group
        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
        > Roman History Books and More (Blog)
        > http://romanhistorybooks.typepad.com/
        > Member of Literature Reading Circle
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/
        > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
        > http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpboards.htm

      • Richard Dorsey
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2007
          I remembered reading the book. When I looked in my
          library there it was, but without a handwriten note
          anywhere to tell me what I had thought about while
          reading it. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to
          remember what they read last week? I don't think I am
          a Mailer fan, but I am willing to recommend Ancient
          Evenings if only because I can't remember anything bad
          about it. Richard Dorsey
          --- Irene Hahn <irenesbooks@...> wrote:

          > Peter Stothart in his blog today,
          > http://timescolumns.typepad.com/
          > stothard/, discusses Norman Mailer and mentiones his
          > "Ancient Evenings."
          >
          > Has anyone read that book?
          >
          > Irene
          >
          > Roman History Reading Group